The back suffers from pain a lot and if you are looking for the best back massager to buy. Make sure you shine your eyes because the world we live in, there are many low-quality back massagers yet every manufacturer still claims they have the best back massage chair pads.
Nevertheless, it is good to know, having this massaging tool at home, is the best way to avoid unnecessary visits to the masseurs or therapist, and besides, a therapist charges money every time you go for treatment when you can purchase a back massager for home use.
Since massagers are good for the overall health upkeep, we can help you find the best models with our back massager reviews & consumer reports.
The 8 Best Back Massager Comparison Table
Do you know a portable massage tables are also good tool to massage the body? You can find out from the reference link above or continue with this discussion below.
Review of 8 Best Black Massager for Neck, Shoulder and Back Pain
The Snailax Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager comes with 4-modes that support adjustment to relieve muscle tightness, shoulder, and neck tiredness.
For example, it can be adjusted in a move up-down pattern so that anyone can use it. By implication, anyone between the height of 63inches and 70.9 inches can make use of the chair.
It also features an optional heating function that enhances blood circulation and relieves the muscle. Besides delivering a deep tissue massage, two rotation nodes provide optional heat function to suit the demand of the user.
The system is fully protected with an overheating protection system, To take care of overheating. It can be used as a cushion on the office chair, sofa, or recliner.
It comes featuring 3D rotating massage nodes. The Victor Jurgen neck massage pillow also performs a gentle heating function that soothes aching muscle and relaxes tight and overused muscles.
Since it features an ergonomic design, the massage pillow aligns itself properly with the contours of the body and fits behind the neck, thigh, calf, lower and upper back, and the shoulder.
It is made from benign materials, and this helps to prevent the heated areas from getting too warm and protects the skin from friction when the massager comes in contact with the skin. What’s more, environmentally friendly material can easily be removed for cleaning.
Other features include adjustable handle straps, and a free car and AC adapter. It provides a corded hand control and can be used anywhere and at any time.
Relax your full body with the Comfier Shiatsu neck & back massager. For one, it features 2D/3D finger pressure design for air compression, rolling, heat function, and vibration that eases tension and soothes the muscles. Designed with heat, it comes with 4-rotation nodes that supply kneading massage for the shoulder and back.
It also makes use of innovative technology as the massage nodes can move in an outward and inward motion to create double massage comfort for your back. Other features also include an adjustable spot massage that rolls along the spine to take care of back muscle pain.
The spot massage function makes it possible to focus on one area for a maximum and specific result. You can also extend this feature to the upper and lower back. As a plus, it offers an optional infrared heat function for gentle warm and more relaxation.
Neither of the massagers we’ve discussed above is peculiar to any field. The PUREWAVE dual-motor percussion, on the other hand, is not like any other product mention earlier as it is used specifically to relieve stress and muscle tension from sport-related injuries.
Now that’s not to say that it can’t be used for other functions. It provides relief from back pain, plantar fasciitis, sciatica, arthritis, tendinitis, and leg pain.
Dual motor design provides micro-vibration and powerful percussion therapy. It is a favored brand among many trainers and chiropractors for providing deep tissue massage therapy that relaxes muscle spasms and breaks up knots. It comes with a directional video on how to use it.
The Shiatsu back shoulder and neck massager is one of the best gifts that you can get for yourself or for anyone you want because it is easy to wear and carry around. Therefore, it can virtually be used anywhere and anytime.
It also features a car charger and a home adapter that allows you to enjoy your massage whether in the car, office or at home. With adjustable speed and control, you can set the speed of the massage to your personal preference. It comes with three adjustable speeds, and a button makes directional change possible.
You can set it to change direction or shut itself automatically off after some time. It also features infrared heating that relieves the body of aches, tension, and helps to increase blood circulation. It has 8-massage nodes that provide a relaxing experience from physical and mental stress.
Let the 4-deep massage node of the Snailax Shiatsu massage cushion travel down your and relax your back for maximum relieve from tension and cramps. With this massager, you can massage the upper back, full back, and the lower back zones without breaking a sweat.
It also features a detachable intensity control flap that allows you to choose between a softer and an intense massage. For days that you feel like getting a soft massage, you can place a towel or blanket between you and the massager to reduce the intensity.
You can also adjust the nodes to fit the curves of the body and for maximum concentration for pin-point relaxation. The vibration seat can be adjustable on 3-levels of intensity for ultimate comfort and soothing heat therapy.
Relieve and relax sore muscles with the Zyllion Shiatsu back and neck massager. It makes use of an advanced heating function to relax overused muscles and soothe aching and tight muscle.
A 3-dimensional massage node hat automatically changes direction every minute helps to carry out this function and can be turned off with ease.
Also versatile, the neck massager is ergonomic and compact enough to fit behind the body contours, neck, abdomen, back, and calf. It comes with an adjustable multipurpose strap that permits adjustment of pillow during the massage and can be used to secure it.
However, it is not a rechargeable massager, hence you need to plug it in before you can make use of it. 110V and 220-240V electrical outlet work as the UL approved power adaptor.
This handheld massager is a convenient solution to unbearable knots and back pain. Designed to relieve pain, relax the muscles, and increase blood circulation, the MIGHTY BLISS deep tissue back and body massage comes with 3700 RPM percussion motor for handling this task.
Look at it this way, the massager supplies 3700 pulses into your muscle per minute for maximum relaxation. It features 6-different ergonomic massage heads each with a lifetime warranty.
It is corded and lightweight to convenient usage. On battery, it has a battery life of about 120 minutes and a charging time of just 60 minutes.
General Discussion and Buying Guide for the Best Back Massager
All that you need to for choosing the right and best massager for back pain and other things is detail in this section. Ensure you read through thoroughly.
Types of Back Massagers Available In the Market
Just so you know, there are different types of back massagers the market has to offer, each with its design, functionality, and price. Therefore, those going through a moment of back pain, the search for different types of massagers is easier, because technology has increased the number of massagers that the market can boast of. If you are wondering if there are different types of massages to choose from, your answer is yes.
As far as massagers come, they are available in two types. Although many other categories stem out from these basic types, they are primarily of two types. The two categories of back massagers that you can purchase are the electric and the non-electric massagers. The between them is in their design and features. Let us examine the two types:
Electric Back Massager
Electric back massagers make it possible to experience a relaxing massage from the comfort of your home. Although it doesn’t look like it will take the place of professional masseurs anytime soon, it does enough to keep you satisfied in the house. What’s more, you can make use of them and go about the routine activities that don’t require you to get out of the chair.
Electric massagers are always bulky in size, and the rotor permits better functionality by generating vibrations at different speed levels. Hence you don’t need to be actively involved with the operation of the gadget.
Designs of Electric Back Massager
- Handheld massager: As the name implies, these types of massagers come with features designed to look like a wand that you can move across your body until you locate the source of the pain. We recommend this type of massage for people who experience back pain but find it hard to locate the pain point.
- Cushion/pillow: A cushion/pillow massager is one of the best back massagers that you can find on the market that offers handy use when the pain is located at the lower back or the neck. All you need to do is place it where you want it to be to enjoy relief from the pain.
- Chair pads: Most times, purchasing a chair massager could leave a serious hole in our wallets. Nonetheless, chair pads are good substitutes for chair massagers. With the same coverage and efficiency, chair pads need to be attached to a chair and connected with hooks underneath the seat and over the back to allow full massage action.
- Chair back massager: for back massagers, the chair back massager is the big fish. Usually considered as a big investment, this type offers relief from back pain that is somewhat close to what a professional would give. The chair design is similar to an armchair and can be used to relax even while you are getting your massage. Although expensive, it offers enough functionality closest to a hands-on massage.
- Belt back massager: Belt massagers are used for specific areas and points in the body. By implication, it cannot be used when the area of pain is general to the entre back area. On the contrary, if the pain is located in a specific spot like the lower back, then this type of massager does the job well. Designed like a belt, it can be wrapped around the pain area or draped around the shoulder for deep massage in the area of interest.
- Teen unit: Enough said, about the classic and the big guns, the teens unit is a high-tech massager that comes with an electrode pad. The electrode pad stimulates the nerves by sending pulses on the skin for a deep relieving massage.
Non-Electric Back Massager
Unlike the electric massagers, the non-electric types re manually operated to provide relief in certain areas. Some of the types available in the market are:
- Woodball back massager: Like all massage types, the major function of the wood ball back massager is to relieve pain. Unlike others, it does this by running over the skin to reduce tension. By rubbing it over the surface area where you experience pain, you ensure relief by releasing skin tension.
- S-shaped back massager: This refers to a stick massager that features carefully placed nodes for easy maneuverability. The nodes make it possible to place the massager over the right spot for precise pain point massage.
- Pong massager: The design of the pong massager is such that smoothens out knots and eases tension. Since they come in small sizes, pong massagers fit the palm and are considered by many as a portable option of massaging.
- Cane massager: like the s-shaped types, the c-shaped or cane-shaped massager comes ready to locate the right part of the back to provide relief from pain.
- Foam rollers: Based on the kind of relief you want, foam rollers are available in a variety of soft exterior and hard exterior. By rolling it across the skin of targeted problem areas, you enjoy the relief that you want.
What Are The Benefits Of Back Massagers?
The world today is evolving fast, so fast that you can’t always wait to book an appointment with a professional or with someone that can help you with some pain that you feel in your back. The best back massagers as an alternative to hands-on massage is a big help for many people. Though no hand is involved, there are several benefits of back massagers.
Not your everyday benefit but it matters all the same. In the world we live in today, everything that we do is measured in time. A lot of people would do anything to have an extra hour to top the 24 hours that they already have if they could. Imagine how much time is spent on physical appointments with a masseuse, how much time you spend in traffic, and how much time you spend for a proper massage. Consequentially, you can get the same quality of massage with a massager and you don’t have to book an appointment to get this done. What’s more, you can carry out minor tasks and relax while the massager does its work.
Stimulates blood circulation
Massagers increase blood flow, provide nutrition to the tissues and helps in the recovery of soft tissue injuries. Besides, for everyday living, we require more blood flow towards a certain part of the body. One of the best ways to achieve maximum circulation is through the heat setting that comes with massagers. Unlike the human hands, massagers come with a heat setting that ensures muscle and nerve relaxation. As it rubs down on painful points, it stimulates blood flow in those areas.
Increases endorphin levels
For people who experience severe back pain and neck problems, it is quite easy to slip into anxiety and depression. What a massager does is to release the feel-good chemicals in the brain that speeds up recovery and help the reduction of pain. Thus, it offers relief from stress and it promotes good sleep. By relaxing the nerves and the muscles, the positive energy generated relieves stress and helps to achieve good sleep.
Increases flexibility and skin elasticity
Muscle relaxation is crucial to improved flexibility. Since the muscles are pressed by the massager, it relaxes the muscles and stretches them to get rid of stiffness. Besides, breaking muscle knots with the human hand is going to require a lot of hard work unlike what a massager will achieve in a couple of minutes. It does not only relax the tissue, but it also stretches the skin to make it more smooth and firm.
Excellent for joint therapy
Areas like the neck and the back bear the brunt of the physical labor done throughout the day. Such labor stresses the muscle and the surrounding tissues and ligaments. A massager gives relief from severe back pain, cold shoulder, and other joint problems.
Hands-on massage generally costs more than using a massager. Interestingly, the initial cost of a massager is the major cost of purchase, unlike the human hand approach. While an electric massager costs just about $150-$200, a session with a masseuse cost between $30-$90. In a month, you spend between $120-$360, an equivalent of what you will incur to purchase a massager that will last for about a year.
Effective for vibration massage
Most times, machines out-perform humans. Although a masseur is highly trained, the force generated by a machine can easily deliver the pressure needed to treat muscle and back pain. For vibration massage, the process of enhancing blood circulation by vibrating the cells in the body, a massager is more efficient than a human. Instead of manually generating vibrations in the body, a massager produces uniform vibration and the intensity can be adjusted as desired.
Relevant Features To Look For In The Best Back Massager
- Shape: There is a relationship between the shape of your massager and where you want to use it for. This is because the shape determines whether the massager would be able to reach the source of pain or not. Therefore, before making a purchase, make sure the shape allows it to reach the pain point.
- Size: The coverage area that you need to reach informs the size of the massager that you purchase. It also determines the portability and the ease of carrying around. Consider where you want to make use of the device, how to get it there, and where it will cover before buying.
- Portability: for people who are always on the wheel who spend considerable time away from home, you should invest in a lightweight and easy to move around massager.
- Electric vs non-electric: Apart from functionality, both types differ in price. The electric is expensive and allows you to sit back throughout the massage, the non-electric is economical and is recommended for low-intensity pain.
- Shiatsu: Massagers can deliver the Japanese technique of shiatsu without a need for an actual masseur.
- Heat: one of the best ways to enjoy relief from pain is to introduce a little heat. This stimulates the brain sensors to block pain signals. It also helps to keep warm during the cold months and avoid pain.
- Vibration: better than what a masseur can provide, some massagers supports different vibration features for more relief from pain.
- Percussion: Although not every massager has this feature, nonetheless, it would do greater good if you can purchase one with this feature. A little intense, it is recommended for deep tissue massage.
- Wand: though slightly expensive, the wand is a hand-held solution to massage. It allows you handheld control during use.
- Nodes: The higher the nodes, the more your massager gets. Hence, for more intensity, get a massager with more nodes.
- Speed settings: An ideal massager should come with two or three-speed settings: low, medium, and high.
- Intensity settings: Depending on the degree of pain, intensity setting allows you to set the massager to match the level of pain and deliver the desired intensity.
- Timer: The timer allows you to set the device and stay away from it until you are done with the massage. If the pain doesn’t leave until later, you can set the timer and take a short nap.
- Rechargeable: Rechargeable massagers can be put to work anytime provided that it is charged, unlike the battery-powered ones. The rechargeable option is better is you want convenient usage.
- Auto shut-down: This feature ensures that the device doesn’t overheat during operation. You can adjust the shutdown time to match the time taken to relief your pain.
- Attachment: attachments allow a massager to focus on different areas of the body asides the one it was designed to attend to.
- Recall/memory: The recall feature allows you to operate based on the last setting with the press of a button.
Neck vs Shoulder massager
Neck and shoulder massagers improve blood circulation, muscle flexibility, and mobility. This type of massager is designed to target the muscles in the neck and shoulders. To produce massage, the device makes use of nodes that do not roll up and down. Instead, it rotates around its axis for deep massages. These types of massagers also come with a portable handle feature that allows you to maintain a balance when you move them around.
Shiatsu vs Pillow massager
The shiatsu massage is a Japanese massage technique that combines the stretching and rotation of joints with pressure point focusing to relax muscles in pain areas and release energy. It also restores natural balance to the body system and loosens muscles and knots. It is best for back pain, lack of energy, headaches, and all modern-day workers.
On the other hand, a pillow massagers can be used while seated and in a standing position and are recommended for neck, shoulder, and back relaxation. The best thing about a pillow massager is its comfortable design that permits increased oxygen and blood circulation to the neck joints. It also allows you to sit in a comfortable position for a pleasant massage experience.
How to use a back massager?
- Follow the instructions provided in the provided manual
- Do not use more than one massager at a time.
- For an electric massager, follow the power rating and the safety guidelines.
- Stay updated with information about how the massager works and how to care for the device.
The best black massagers offer to relieve from back pain and produces a soothing relief that relieves stress. When it comes to living room massage, a massager is one of the greatest assets you can lay your hands on. It saves you time, money, and the hassle of having to book an appointment with a massage therapist.
Before leaving, you can recheck our massage chair pads comparison again.
Table of Contents