How did I recommend the best dehumidifier for apartment in my first visit for my brother after a sleepless night of humidity challenge? I remembered a few years ago when I visited my brother in his apartment. That visit was a terrible one never to be forgotten. The first night I could hardly sleep due to excessive moisture and musty smell. Since I arrived at night couldn’t notice anything, but on the morrow, what my eyes saw ended up in exclamation. Oh my God! Almost causing the neighborhood gathering. Molds, and mildew growths in some sections of the house like the bathroom, corridors, and basement. The home wall was sweating seriously, almost like a rushing tap. I could see a dark spot on walls and in the laundry room, discoloration on the ceilings. I wasn’t surprised at all because I knew it was the handwork of high humidity. But I wonder how my brother was able to cope in such a wet condition.
My thought was also to know if the building has a crawl space because this section is always known to be cold and wet all year round. However, there was no crawl section in the building design, if not, it would have been dramatic. To cut the story short, I told my brother to purchase a dehumidifier for his studio apartment. Recommending he choose the hOmelabs brand because of their reputable products among users following consumer reports. If you fall into this category of those living in an apartment being invaded by excessive moisture, a dehumidifier will help you reduce the level.
Top 8 Best Dehumidifier for Apartment Reviews
1. Vacplus 30 Pints Dehumidifier
Apartment with medium-sized rooms, bedrooms, or basement owners can consider this Vacplus 30pts dehumidifier. When compared with other mini dehumidifiers, this appliance with 1350mlc capacity quickly and quietly removes up to 30 pints of moisture from home air in less than 24 hours circle under 90% relative humidity and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. While the unit is more efficient, the automatic shut off guarantees safety, shutting down the machine once the tank is full, this further saves you energy cost instead of the unit keeps running without moisture to collect from your home air. Also, Vacplus comes with a 1.35-liter tank capacity.
However, if you’re tired of emptying water manually, you can connect the dehumidifier continuous drain hose to your drainage to help you dump the water outside. This way, you don’t have to empty the tank by hand. Besides, the hose is up to 1 meter long, making it perfect for your bathrooms, Rv’s, basement, closest, and bedroom usage. For efficient results, this unit should be used in an area not exceeding 1,500 square feet, but if you’re staying in an apartment with larger rooms, consider the Vacplus 50 pints dehumidifier which is the higher version. However, as you run this device, occasional cleaning should be done. Take time to clean the filter every 3-months by washing it with water and dry properly before inserting it back to the unit.
2. CLEVAST Energy Star Apartment Dehumidifier
The Clevast is another 30 pints dehumidifier like the previous units seen above with almost the same price range. Nevertheless, this unit is very efficient in preventing molds, mildew, or allergens being caused by high moisture in apartment houses. The standard unit works best in an enclosure not exceeding 1,500 square feet and can be move from one location to another easily, thanks to the strong caster wheels. Hence, you can use it in your living room, basement, closet, car garage, or anywhere you notice high humidity within your property.
The Clevast is capable of keeping your home humidity between 45 – 65 percent thereby guarantying you healthy air. Maintenance of this unit is cost-effective, filter only required washing and replacing, but ensure it gets dry before returning it to the device. It’s smart and neat design blends with any home settings and this makes it outstanding among the list of our dehumidifiers for an apartment building. More so, it is UL listed as an energy-saving device. Hence, you’ll spend less on electricity.
3. Waykar 40 Pint Dehumidifier
The good news, though this unit can only extract 40 pints per day, sure it can cover a 2,000 square feet space reducing moistness. However, the 70-pint model is available if your space is up to 4,500 square feet. Nevertheless, this Waykar is renowned for adjusting home humidity from 80% down faster while maintaining it to be within 40% – 50% for a healthy living. This 40-pint dehumidifier is a perfect pick for a variety of places utilization. You can use it for the basement section of your apartment, living room, bathroom, and offices. Also great for dehumidifying wet laundry room, stockroom, and your crawl space is not also left out. The reasonably priced home device is way too robust for the few hundred dollars to be spent.
While competitive units lack mobility castors wheels, Waykar however boasts of this so that you can move it freely where you want to dehumidify in your apartment house. The 24-hour timer is another wonderful feature that lets you set when the unit should work and turn-off and thus reduce energy consumption.
Besides, it has a light indicator for a full tank and automatic switch-off for the full tank. When you choose this unit as your best apartment dehumidifier, you’ll access both manual and continuous drain option to empty your device. As for most people, the continuous drainage method is best avoiding them to empty tank on their own. Interestingly, when power is interrupted and restored, the waykar 40-pint unit will restart by itself while maintaining you’re your previous settings, thanks to the auto-restart function.
4. Yaufey 30 Pint Dehumidifier
Unlike the previous units that seem bigger, Yaufey is a space-saving device but still able to collect up to 30 pints moisture in a twenty-four-hour duration. Trust us, the appliance works effectively in keeping moisture out of space reaching 1,500 square feet, and runs silently, visitors won’t notice its operation. It is suitable for garages, indoor space, including your basement.
The 1.8-liter tank is where collected moisture is dumped and users are expected to empty the tank after 24 hours of running. Better still use the continuous hose (2-meter long) as a more convenient way to empty the unit without stressing yourself. The Yaufey 30-pint dehumidifier allows you to choose between regular and turbo-fan speed levels for customized comfort.
Also, you can set the 24-hour timer to better your lifestyle and reduce energy costs. The unit is easy to maintain as it comes with a washable filter but require regular cleaning. After three months you can start thinking of replacing it. Furthermore, the built-in wheels and handles make the dehumidifier so easy to transport from one room to another. Yaufey 30pints guarantees efficient moisture removal while being as easy to carry as many mini dehumidifiers.
5. MIDEA MAD50C1ZWS Dehumidifier
This particular product is worth the chase if you want to dehumidify an apartment measuring up to 4,500 square feet. The Midean MA50 is rated 50-pint daily moisture removal. However, there are 20pint and 30 pints sizes available, which are a great option for those living in tight spaces. Think of any possible places where humidity has caused havoc, this unit is up to the task restoring water damaged areas in a span of 24hrs.
The value of this machine equates its features and performance – you won’t be disappointed when needed most. It operates at 51 decibel sound, quiet enough not to interrupt sleeping at night or interfere in your discussion. When the machine is working, and a power outage occurs, the auto-restart will kick start the unit when power gets restored without losing previous settings.
You can either empty the unit using a manual approach or continuous draining, but the hose not included in the purchase. Meanwhile, a reusable filter preserves air quality without expensive parts to replace.
6. Honeywell TP30WKN Energy Star Dehumidifier
Honeywell is a household name when it comes to humidifiers, however, the brand has diversified into the making of dehumidifiers such as this TP30WKN. This appliance is ruggedly built for used in crawl space and rooms with a coverage capacity of 1,000 square feet. Efficiently and reliable to dehumidify up to 24 hours removing moisture while consuming low electricity, thanks to the energy star rating.
The unit withdrawal capacity is 20 pints – 30 pints per day. One outstanding feature, Honeywell energy star dehumidifier has a smart digital humidistat that makes it sense home moisture levels to known when to dehumidify or stop. There is also a LED screen that displays current room humidity conditions, temperature, and timer settings.
This apartment dehumidifier is practical and versatile to keep your surrounding off unwanted humidity. Other versions of its kind include TP50AWKN and the TP70AWKN models. This unit does not have a built-in pump.
7. AIRPLUS 30 Pints Dehumidifier
If you’re looking for silent moisture removal, this Airplus dehumidifier is engineered to deliver a peaceful operation. You can run it in your bedroom at night, it will never wake you up from sleep. Among the top-rated dehumidifiers discussed, Airplus is a 30-pint capacity and great for multi-point of use.
Under 90% relative humidity (RH), this unit works efficiently, the low temperature has no impact on it. A continuous drain option is available to channel condensation outside. But if you want the do-it-yourself method, its 1.5 tank liter is large to accommodate moisture in 24hours and turns-off instantly on a full tank. Hence, no water spillage or messing floor to clean up.
The four-mode of operation such as raining, drying, sleeping, and standard-setting gives the flexibility to customize your need. Top of the purchase, back up with two-year replacement or servicing, that’s a complete money refund only a few companies hardly give.
8. AmazonBasics Dehumidifier – For Areas Up to 1,000 Square Feet
Are you looking for the best dehumidifier for 1,000 square feet? Many products are available, but some perform better than the other. The Amazonbasics is a unit, we’ve tested among others that pass our set criteria as a good product for a thousand feet.
The compact size makes the dehumidifier effective for small-medium sized rooms featuring 8-standard ceilings. You’ll never know what it can do until its 22pint tank is filled and ready to be empty in a span of 24hours. This device is built with smart dehumidification that maintains home humidity between 30 – 55 % ranges.
Other features include a timer, auto-defrost, over-flow protection, and a reusable filter. This cheap dehumidifier can restart itself after a power outage while still running with your preference settings programmed earlier. Investing in the product is worth the offer compared to what’s going to do for you.
The Different Pints Dehumidifier Capacity for Apartment Sizing
The common pint capacity of dehumidifiers seen on the market used to be the 30, 50, and 70 pints size. However, another pint capacity is now available. In this section, we’re going to discuss them so that you can get familiar with them.
- 20 pints dehumidifier capacity: So far, this is the lowest pint-size found on the market. But it is impossible to see units of 22pints – 29-pint moisture collection dehumidifying device. 20 PPD models are great for use in space of 1000 sq. ft downward. If you want to dehumidify a bathroom, RV’S, personal space, or medium-sized kitchen, this type of dehumidifier capacity is a perfect choice to work in such areas. Besides are small in size compared to the 30 pints devices and thus occupy small areas.
- 30 pints dehumidifier capacity: For a space of 1,500 square feet, you’ll need a powerful machine of the 30-pint capacity to dry out moisture air faster. Tend to bigger in construction compare to the 20-pints model but more powerful and extracts more condensation. A typical example of this model is this CLEVAST 1,500 Sq. Ft Energy Star Dehumidifier.
- 40 pints dehumidifier capacity: This is not too common among users but in recent times, they have been featured on Amazon and other affiliates blogs. They are similar to the 30-pints model but higher in the amount of condensation it collects per day. This type can be used for 2000 square feet apartment or medium-sized bedrooms.
- 50-pint dehumidifier capacity: You should know, the larger your facility the higher the pint capacity you’ll need. But most times, people make a mistake picking a lesser capacity device for bigger space. When this happens, the unit will have to run for long hours collecting moisture while increasing your energy bills. However, with the right device for that equals your space, moisture will be collected faster and in return saves you energy. Therefore, we recommend a 50-pint dehumidifier for spaces of 2,500 – 4000 sq. feet. You can check some of the available options available on the market today on amazon!!!
- 70-pint dehumidifier capacity: Do you need a 70-pint dehumidifier? This can only be yes if where to be dehumidified is up to 4,500 square feet measurement. Otherwise, for lesser coverage, fall back to the 50 pint or lesser versions. Need to say, sometimes people tend to prefer this model if their home is extremely wet and wants to ensure the place is dried faster. However, a 70 pts device will cost you more and you know what that means to your income.
- 90 pints dehumidifier capacity: Crawlspace is one section that’s is always wet all year round. If the humidity in these areas is left for a longer period, it’ll gradually compromise the foundation of the building which may lead to a collapse. We know you don’t want your investment to be destroyed by moisture, therefore, dehumidifying it is the solution but you’ll need a 90 pints dehumidifier specially designed for crawlspaces utilization.
Note: Other pint sizes are available on the market, so this list covered the most commonly used ones.
Types Of Dehumidifier
Categorically, dehumidifiers are of two types. We have explained each below:
- Portable or single room dehumidifier: The word portable means something that’s not big and handy per se. Users can easily move their units with ease. However, the portable nature has a limitation because they can only be used to extract humidity in one room, and sometimes, the space is not expected to be bigger than the unit capacity. Getting this dehumidifier type is great if your wish is to be dehumidifying different sections of your facility per time. They’re not expensive as well.
- Whole House Dehumidifier: I guess the name has already explained the term. For a clearer view, it’s a type of dehumidifier used for removing moisture from an entire building, it comes powerful and bulky in size with plenty of tank space to store the withdrawn air moisture. Some of its kind that has castors can also be used for single rooms since they can be transported easily. Consequently, more investment is required to buying a whole-house dehumidifier but saves the cost of buying separate units.
- Built-In-wall dehumidifier: Saving space while running a dehumidifier is very important for an apartment where space is a problem. A wall dehumidifier requires the installation and may involve hiring an expert if you are not a good do-it-yourself (DIY) technician. After installation, only schedule maintenance such as annual cleaning or filter replacement will be done.
How To Find The Best Dehumidifier For An Apartment?
In a possible way of trying to find the best dehumidifier for an apartment, the information on how big and damp the space can be is very important and also going for a dehumidifier with a little bit higher capacity than what is approved for the apartment has proved to be active and saves energy.
How Does A Dehumidifier Works
Technology makes the difference clear, work getting easy with less stress, and keeping ourselves healthy. The dehumidifier appliance would keep bacteria away from the air. You know your apartment needs one when it feels stuffy unpleasantly; windows are full of water droplets, unpleasant odor, and excess moisture.
The dehumidifier works in a way that protects the house. High humidity frequently can weaken home structures, affects wooden parts of the house, and makes metals rust. The dehumidifier will keep the rate of deterioration low and give you a long-lasting house structure.
Furthermore, the dehumidifier does excellent work than air purifiers and home plants. It is almost impossible to keep the humidity level at a normal level with all that. It also works in a way that eliminates dust in the air, which is unhealthy.
How Long Does A Dehumidifier Works
How long a dehumidifier works depends on how much work it has to do, but for first-time use, it takes about 10hours before working effectively and for it to get to the proper humidity level that the apartment needs. About how long a dehumidifier takes before losing its effectiveness, information has been collected from residents that use the dehumidifier. It is said to last two to five years, and perhaps, it varies based on how often the dehumidifier has been used.
How To Install Built In-Wall Dehumidifier
There are different types of in-wall built dehumidifier. Installation becomes very easy with the help of a professional. Below is the gradual step on how to install built in-wall dehumidifier.
Using ultra-aire Md33 as an illustration, majorly the first true in-wall dehumidifier, while preparing the wall, we create an opening between the wall studs that measures 14” across and 30” down. Cut through to the other end for a 2” x 4” stud wall installation. While trying to install the dehumidifier, make sure the power is shut off. Remove the zip, shipping bracket, electrical box cover. Lift into the wall by the drain pan, making sure it’s all leveled then screw it side by side to the wall. Create or knock out holes for the drain hose and electrical wires. With the help of the manual, connect and route drain hose and the electrical wirings. Put in the electrical box cover and turn the power after getting plugged to the socket, set the control, then screw the diffuser cover to the wall with a screw.
Cleaning And Maintaining Your Dehumidifier
Keeping proper maintenance of the dehumidifier can also make it last longer. Below is the proper way of cleaning your dehumidifier. It does huge work in removing harmful substances from the air.
Make sure it’s shut off and not connected to the socket before doing anything on it. Using a slightly damped cloth, use it on the outer part to remove all dirt directly. Cleaning the outer part (bucket) is important since the moisture from the air moves in there, making it open to being dirty in no time and needs cleaning attention frequently. Scrub it gently and rinse, a liquid soap would do better, then let it dry up completely before arranging. The vacuum and air filter are about where the main work is done. Use a soft cloth to wipe off every dirt around the vacuum while the air filter that extracts dust should be washed with a sponge and soapy water. Frequent maintenance makes it effective and last long.
Where Can You Use A Dehumidifier
Often time people ask where possible can a dehumidifier their dehumidifier or where can it be used. To answer this, the following are the places where this device can be mounted for moisture removal.
Indoor dehumidifiers are essential appliances. They help in keeping humidity levels, keeping the air healthy, and other harmful substances in the air that can affect the health. This is done by taking air into itself and then extracting every form of bacteria in it then releasing it back to the room.
Basements can be so damped because the moisture can go through the house bricks, increase in humidity level within, or water leakage in any part of the house. Using a specific size of dehumidifier for the basement keeps the level of humidity below average. It can prevent the growth of bacteria and make the air around the home healthy, preventing damage.
Using dehumidifiers in crawl spaces is very important; bacteria around that area can be pretty much well hidden and affect the air around the house. The crawl space dehumidifier can also prevent allergies and work largely on dust mites and protection against pests.
- LAUNDRY ROOMS
Making laundry at home can cause a high rate of humidity, and the laundry room is prone to unhealthy smells and unpleasant air that can affect Humans. The dehumidifier traps moisture in the air, which brings them together and pull them out of the house. The dehumidifier can help dry clothes faster, and they also come with air filters, which also reduce air allergens.
- COMMERCIAL PLACES
Commercial dehumidifiers control humidity in places like spa environments, sports centers, warehouses, indoor pools, companies, offices, and so on. High capacity of dehumidifier is usually required because these commercial places involve so many activities that cause an increase in humidity. The dehumidifier works efficiently to reduce humidity levels quickly, preventing costly repairs.
Wrapping It Up
Because of helping you find the best dehumidifier for the apartment, this article was researched and compiled by our expert. The scope of the product reviews covers top rated 8 dehumidifiers with a review of each unit. The buying guide is also provided to help you find the best unit without much hassle. How the waykar 70 pints device and the Cleavest product are our top recommendations. We hope this article helps you choose wisely.
Easy Reading Step-by-Step Table of Content Guide