We’re going to be looking at the best foot massager machine, and consumer reports guide. Anyone looking forward to purchasing a massager for foot, diabetics, plantar fasciitis, pregnancy, or spa need will find this post helpful. A foot massage helps to relax the feet after a long tiring working day. Owing to the numerous health benefits to the body system, using one at home is a good idea. Even researchers claim massaging the foot can help plantar fasciitis and diabetics patients. Massaging the foot even benefits pregnant women. However, knowing the right one to buy becomes a big problem as there’s plenty of them available out there. Nevertheless, we’ve addressed this issue in this best foot massager reviews, including relevant features that need to be checked for picking the best one. You can also check our previous post featuring the best massage chair reviews for the sake of knowledge.
Best Foot Massagers Reviews 2020: Top 8 Consumer Reports Guide
1. MedMassager MMF06 11 Speed Foot Massager
MedMassager is one of the most powerful massagers you can find. It is an open design massager, thus, allowing your feet to rest well while being massaged. Its surface is a full-sized oscillating footpad with arch-bar.
This MMF06 massager can help apply sufficient pressure to a target area of the feet. Its speed is about 1000-3700 rpm.
You can trust this massager to be stable and reliable. It has a rubber foot and comes with other kits that make some usable on hardwood and tiled floor.
A reviewer of this product claims it has help remedy foot numbness, bone chilled feelings, and discomfort. So you too can also benefit using this Medfoot massager.
2. Best Shiatsu Foot Massager for Plantar Fasciitis
This gives you a relaxing and recouping experience. It works on the feet with the help of its six massage heads and deep kneading nodes. It can be used to relieve all forms of pain in the feet.
It doesn’t work solely on the sole of the feet but the sides, heel, ankle, and other parts. It is a good pick for a personal therapist to relieve all pain caused by day work.
You can control the heat sensation with the push of a button- this helps to improve blood circulation for a cold foot. You can easily adjust it to any height. The benefits of this massager include automatic shut down after 20 minutes of massaging the feet; it is portable, making it easy to keep.
A reviewer said I purchase this for my mom as a birthday gift. As a Dental Assistant who is regularly on her feet for 30+ years, she started to have pain problems in her feet. After using it, she seems to get relief from the pain. Would definitely recommend for people who have problems with foot pain.
3. Foot Massage Machine For Tired Feet
You can easily put your legs into this massager, compare to some other ones that you will have to be careful to insert your feet. It has various features that make it work on toes, calves, and the ankle of the feet.
You can derive a 3-in-1 feature from a unit of this massager- heat, vibration, and air compression pressure. It creates relief for diabetics, neuropathy, swollen feet, and plantar fasciitis.
The massager has various levels of pressure; it is advised you start with the low pressure. Don’t abandon the massager after the first use because of the slight soreness it will cause to your feet. Such is normal.
According to a verified user, said I LOVE this foot massager. It works and wonderfully! I recommend it. As a diabetic and have nerve damage in my feet. My feet hurt 24/7. This massager works wonders.
4. Miko Shiatsu Best Foot Massager
The Miko Shiatsu foot massager reduces pain and improves blood circulation with shiatsu rolling, deep kneading, and heat functions.
Your feet will fit well into the two independent leg chambers, coupled with the five air pressure settings; you will experience one of the best massages you’ve ever had.
If you suffer from chronic pain, neuropathy, muscle tension, diabetics, and plantar fasciitis- you can be your self-therapist with this machine. You can easily clean this machine and carry it around with you.
5. Belmint Multi Settings Electric Feet Massager
Harness the power of heat to get some good to your feet. The Belmint massager has an in-built infrared heat, which you can control with a button at will.
The heat sensation helps to relieve stiffness, soreness, and inflammation. Also, the heat helps to relieve stiffness, soreness, and inflammation. It is a multiple feature massager, that is, it works to relax your whole feet.
The electric feet massager has five different pressure levels with kneading features for pressure point stimulation- to enhance blood flow.
No tough areas of the feet can be avoided with the full-air pressure pads. Furthermore, the inner is lined with durable synthetic mesh fabric which allows your feet to breathe.
6. Sunpentown Infrared Blood Circulation Massager
This massager is one that is rare to find. Unlike other massagers, it is made entirely of plastic. You control this massager from a remote; it can be used up to 15 minutes before it automatically shut down.
You will experience a good heat sensation using the sunpentown massager- it has eight infrared treatments. Ensure you check and select from its 12 vibrating intensities before each use.
You can also switch between auto and manual modes. Consult your doctor before choosing this massager for your next massage.
7. Best Choice Products Therapeutic Foot Massager
Speaking of its design, it looks like a sports gadget- you will always want your feet to be on it.
It alternates between four pre-programmed massages and three different modes for a therapeutic massage.
You can control its speed, power, massage directions, and mode from a remote. It massages all areas of the feet with techniques like kneading, pulsing, and rolling. For the best experience, start from a low-pressure setting and increase gradually.
8. RENPHO Shiatsu Foot Massager
This portable massager has five controls displayed on the front screen. These controls or features are; heat, air intensity, power, knead intensity, and time-lapse.
You are totally in charge of the experience you want to get from a massager. The renpho massager, unlike common massagers, uses a rolling stick, heat, rolling ball, and air compression to deliver a pleasing massage session.
You only need to spend about 30 minutes with it to have a good massage. You can make use of it for big feet.
The General Best Foot Massager Buying & Consumer Reports Guide
Since we’re through with the above foot massager reviews. We important as well to let you know how to choose your own best massager for the foot. Therefore, this section is a must-read to clear every doubt.
Is There Benefit When You Massage The Foot?
Working throughout the day, we all make one walk or the other with our legs for one thing or the other. Whether we sit, stand, or walk all day, our legs will be used, and this affects the leg. There is a need for daily massaging of the feet to keep it healthy and ready for the next day. The benefits of massaging the feet include the following:
Relaxation and blood circulation
A good daily massage helps to relieve the leg of the stress of the day. If there was a low circulation of blood during the day, massaging will help allow the blood to flow better. If, on the other hand, the leg was worked out during the day, causing sore on the feet, a good massage will also help.
With the help of massage, and reflexology body pains can be relieved. You can relief pains such as headaches, running aches, lower back pain, bunions, and menstruation with a massage.
Promote healthy sleep
People demand a massage mostly when they are done with the work of the day- when they want to rest or retire to the bed and sleep. Proper massage before bedtime helps the blood to circulate well- this enhances good sleep.
Improve mood and Fight depression
There are certain reflex points on the foot which when massaged, can help in eliminating the symptoms of depression. You can apply pressure on these points for a few minutes daily and you notice the relief it brings to every sign of depression. You can also improve mood or emotion by massaging reflex points on the foot connected to feelings.
Keep a healthy foot
One of the ways to prevent your foot from foot problems is having a regular checkup massage on the foot. The foot will be protected from injuries on the heel and the ankle. It helps to reduce stiffness of the foot, stimulate foot muscles, and alleviate pain on the ankle and heel. Daily massage can keep your feet flexible and healthy.
Edema is a common pain in the feet during pregnancy. There is excessive water retention in the feet, causing the feet to swell. Regular foot massage during pregnancy will reduce the swelling and other effects symptoms of edema.
Best Foot Massager Buying Guide
Getting one of the best foot massagers is not hard to do. As you can see above, there are many foot massagers, but you need to find the one that works for you with lesser side effects or downside. There is a need for you to know the features of a good massager- to be able to choose right. We will be looking at these features in the section below.
The design pattern of a massager greatly affects the experience of the user. There are many designs of massager out there- however, we will only look into two of them. These designs are the open design and the closed design.
- Open design: It helps you place your feet on the massager without necessarily turning it on. It is lightweight and can be carried around. Open design massagers are usually silent; they do not attract attention or interfere with your activity. They are stable and they massage the sole thoroughly. However, there are only a few of these designs that will massage the ankle, heel, and calves of the foot. They specialize in massaging the sole.
- Close design: There are more massagers with this design than the open. It works on the heels, soles, sides, and arches of the feet. It massages the foot by spreading warm heat across it. You can experience many massage techniques while using a closed design massager. You can easily control these massagers with the aid of a remote. So, aged people and those that find it difficult to bend down can also find it useful. Many of the massagers that fall under this category are digitalized. You can fully control the behavior or performance of the massager. Finally, closed design massagers have a higher level of maintenance.
Weight and size
The weight does not say much, but it can influence how stable the massager will be during the massage. Speaking of size, most of the best foot massagers out there can accommodate many users. But a single massager cannot be used for all feet.
There are some massagers for people with small feet while there are some that can accommodate people with larger feet. Consider your feet size before choosing a massager.
Contrarily, buying a big massager when you have a small foot will not be effective. Although the massager will contain your leg, some massage heads and nodes can miss your feet since it is small.
The stability of a massager is related to its design. Open design foot massagers are low and wide enough, so they will be more stable than the closed design foot massagers. Another determinant of stability is the feet of the massager. Taking a look at some machines, we see that some best foot massagers come with a rubber foot that keeps it from slipping off the ground during a massage.
Others come with adjustable feet so you can adjust it to the height of your choice. But there is a rule you should bear in mind- do not attempt to stand while your feet are still resting in a foot massager; this is to prevent damage. Also, while the massage is going on, do not push against the surface too much, or the motors might fail.
The application or usage of the best foot massager can determine how much of your feet will be massaged. Some massagers work on the sole of the feet – that is, they only relieve pain from the sole of the feet. While some can be used to massage the foot and ankle.
Foot massagers that can massage more than just the feet are taller and made with closed designs. This makes them massage the soles and reach up to massage the ankle as well. They can reach out to massage your ankle, soles, arches, and the sides of the leg at the same time. These massagers are considered to be versatile- only a few foot massagers can reach up to the calves of the foot to massage it.
Nevertheless, you can choose an open design massager that allows you to tilt it and reach out to the ankle and calves. If you want a massage to go beyond your feet, choose a massager that can help massage other parts of the leg.
The movability of a massager allows you to easily take it around the house- from one room to the other. You will not always have to massage your feet in one room, so, you probably will like your massager to be movable. Foot massagers are not very portable; they can be heavy at times. But you should still be able to bear the weight of a massager if you select it from the list of the best foot massagers. You can check the list of some best foot massagers above to select one of your choices- portability can be assured.
Type of massage
Every massager has a unique way of massaging the leg, and there are different types of massage. You can choose a massager based on the kind of massage you want. These types are oscillating massage, air pressure massage, kneading massage, shiatsu massage, and heated massage. These massage types work with different massage designs; some works on the open design massager, some works on the closed design massager, while some even works on the two designs. Here the types of massage:
- Air pressure massage: Only open designed foot massager can offer this functionality. The air pressure is great for working the muscles found around your ankle and feet area, and this is achieved by repeatedly inflating and deflating airbags.
- Oscillating massage: If you want to increase blood circulation within your foot and legs region, this technique will benefit you. As the oscillation massaging works on the muscles, you’ll be feeling a sensation moving from your toe upward to your knees, thereby relieving pressure point areas. A typical open-designed massager can offer this oscillation technique.
- Kneading massage: Both closed and open designed model offers a kneading method. This massage type is designed into each foot of the device. In some models, kneading is carried out via the massage head, which contains variable massage nodes. This head works by rotating clockwise/anticlockwise massaging the sole of your foot in a kneading manner. In recent times, some foot massage performs kneading differently. This technology is built into the unit floor where you will rest your foot to get massaged it moves back, or circularly to improved your legs condition.
- Shiatsu massage: This is a popular type of foot massaging, which is also available in open/closed designs massagers. Shiatsu involves the foot massager applying air-pressure to your feet and this stimulates your feet at random point to ease the muscles while also promoting blood circulation.
- Heat massage: As popular as heat massaging technique among users of foot massager but not all devices feature it. The intensity of a heated massage is different from one device to another. There are units with very strong heating power, which may not be good for people who have lost sensation. We, therefore, recommend a model with a weak heating capacity. Adopting heat massage is very good for relaxing, most especially during the cold winter to warm up your feet.
Why Does The Specialist Recommend Foot Massage For Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis: A ligament inflammation that runs along the bottom of the leg. It has been observed by doctors that a foot massage can be used to relieve the pain by this inflammation. Reflexology is an ancient medical practice that believes there are reflect points in the feet which, when well relaxed and massaged, can affect the body organs.
What is plantar fasciitis? It is an inflammation of a thick tissue band that runs under the foot and connects the toes to the heel bone. It is a common cause of pain to the heel. This inflammation is common to runners. However, overweight people and those who wear shoes without adequate support are exposed to a higher risk of experiencing plantar fasciitis. The common symptom of this inflammation is stabbing pain in the few first steps taken in the morning.
How Can Foot Massaging Helps Plantar Fasciitis?
The rubbing of the feet can alleviate pains that affect the leg. Applying a little pressure with a finger on the heel and calf muscles through slow strokes helps concentrate on the deeper muscles. This helps to release the muscle tension, break scar tissue, and eliminate the pain caused by plantar fasciitis. Massaging helps proper blood circulation to the feet and release muscle toxins.
What Should You Consider When Applying Massager To Plantar Fasciitis?
Before you get a massage to treat your leg, read through this section to have the knowledge of the factors to consider when using a massager.
- 1. Understand that plantar fasciitis affects the arch and heel of the leg. Therefore, ensure you have a massager that can work on the whole feet- the arch, heel, and sides of the feet. Some of the best foot massagers work on the entire feet.
- 2. Consider the intensity of the massager you have before placing your feet on it. A massager with too much or too low intensity can fail to treat your condition at the end. If you have sensitive feet, choose a massager that doesn’t work harshly.
- 3. Ensure you allow your feet to rest well on the massager during the massage session.
Plantar fasciitis takes a repetitive nature and can reoccur over time. But do not lose heart, you can treat it well when you adhere to the rules above and some other general ones.
Is It Safe to Use A Foot Massager During Pregnancy?
Many women will wish for a foot massage during their pregnancy. However, foot massage has not been given medical approval by an authority as to be completely safe for pregnant women- though some benefits can be derived from it.
Many spas will not even accept a pregnant woman to have a foot massage. The reason why it is not considered to be safe during pregnancy yet is due to some sensitive areas on the foot that ought to be avoided.
A foot massage is only considered to be safe when done by an experienced professional who will give the right kind of pregnancy massage. The professional knows where to touch/massage and the areas to avoid.
Benefits Of Foot Massage During Pregnancy
Some pregnant women believe that foot massage helps them overcome the pains and aches that come with being pregnant, while others claim that it might do more harm to them than good. The benefits of having a foot massage during pregnancy include:
- Foot massage done daily can reduce the effect of edema (swelling) on the leg, substantially.
- It can bring balance to the mind. This is peculiar to first-time mothers as it helps treat the anxiety and stress of being pregnant. The whole massaging process can create a calmness to the mind and restore mental balance.
- Mothers with depression or a bad mood can be helped with a good massage. It helps to boost the mood of the mother and deliver a healthy baby with no sign of premature birth.
- A foot massage helps to enhance the bond between a mother and the baby. Foot massage is not only felt by the mother, but it also affects the baby. The baby responds every time a foot massage is on by moving inside the womb. This also creates a non-vocal communication between the mother and the baby.
Is There Pregnancy Foot Massage Risk?
Despite the benefits accruing from a foot massager, there are few risks. Try to avoid the areas of the feet connected to the uterus and ovaries. It can cause contraction at an unhealthy stage of the pregnancy.
Types of Foot Massage Techniques
Just as a doctor has much equipment to work on a patient and different prescriptions for each illness, there are different massage techniques for various feet conditions and request of an individual. No two techniques deliver the same satisfaction and benefit. Read on to understand the difference between each technique.
1. Arch rubs
This technique is used to relax the underside of the foot. It specifically relaxes the arch. You can apply this massage technique to the feet by doing the following.
- Hold the top of the leg with one hand;
- Rub the length of the arch with the finger of your second hand. This will relax the arch;
- Lastly, continue the first and second process- rubbing the heel to the ball to the feet until satisfied.
2. Warmup twists
You can know what it means with its name. The warmup twist can be used to start a massage session. Go through the steps below to apply the warmup twist.
- First, let your hands rest on the sides of the foot;
- Then gently use your right hand to move the right side of the foot forward while the left-hand pull the left side back;
- Alternate this same movement in the reverse form. Push the left side of the foot forward while the right-hand pull the right side back;
- Repeatedly, move your hands from the ankle to the toes. This gentle warmup twist helps the feet to be ready for more massage.
3. Foot spread
This technique can help expand the width of afoot. If your feet have been treated harshly with a tight or undersize shoe, you can help restore the feet to its natural length using the foot spread technique. This technique is done this way:
- Gently grip each side of the foot;
- Pull the sides of the foot outward. Your thumb does the major work- moving from the upper part of the foot outwards to the heel;
- Repeat this movement for a while to allow your feet to spread out to its natural width. This technique prevents the feet from contracting but allows the feet to extend its original width.
4. The toe bends
This technique deals majorly with the toes. It allows and encourages flexibility in the foot. Technique procedures:
- Hold the heel with one hand while you grip the toes with the other hand.
- Begin the process by bending the toes back and forth softly;
- Continue with the movement- increasing pressure and bending the toes until it reaches its full range of motion.
5. Toe massage
The toe massage technique is not the same as the toe bend. The toe bend works the toes at once while the toe massage gives detailed relaxing to each toe. So, you can proceed from a toe bend to a toe massage to give your toes the best exercise. The toe massage helps to relieve cramps and tension in the toes. The detail of the technique:
- Hold the base of the foot firmly with one hand;
- The other hand does the work by twisting, tugging, and pulling each toe gently. You can do this for the outer and the extension of the toes in the foot.
- Repeat this process many times moving from toe to the other.
6. Thumb work
This is a technique used to massage the bottom of the feet. Though most massage is done with the thumb, this is quite different from them all. Let look at the process:
- Hold the sides of the foot with your hand;
- Ensure your fingers are resting on the top of the foot except for your thumb;
- Your thumb should be positioned under the foot. Precisely, on the toe pads;
- Use moderate pressure to stroke each toe down with your thumbs;
- Move on to stroking the ball of the foot, repeat the downward stroking as with the toe;
- Continue to stroke the foot and make movements- from the toe to the ball, to the arch, and the heel;
You can continue this process as long as it remains enjoyable and not irritating.
7. Heel squeeze
To relieve tension at the back of each foot, the heel squeeze technique will be of great help. To use the heel squeeze:
- Hold the top of the foot in one hand;
- Let the other hand hold the foot at the other end.
- Gently apply pressure as you squeeze and release the back of the heel. You will only need one hand to make the whole movement and complete the heel squeeze technique.
8. Top and side circles
This is a simple but efficient massage technique. It helps to relieve stress from the heel to the feet top and the toes. The movement of the top and side circle is between the tendons, so you must pay attention to the space between each tendon. To use this technique:
- Create support for the foot- placing your hands on both sides below the foot, and extending it to form a circle around the ankle;
- Make a continuous circular movement and take it around the side of the foot;
- Continue to create a circular movement with your fingers until you reach the toes;
- Repeat the whole process until you are satisfied.
9. Achilles message
This helps to relieve tension and stress in the Achilles tendon. The process is as follows:
- Make a grip with one hand on the Achilles tendon, using your thumb and index finger;
- On the other hand, stroke downwards to the heel. You can keep this stroking motion on for as long you want.
10. Finishing strokes
This technique comes in place towards the end of the massage. The process is as follows:
- This is like the warmup technique. You place your hands on the sides of the foot;
- Then you gently pull the left side forward while the other hand pushes the right side back;
- You also pull the right side forward while you push the left side back;
- You keep on with this motion from the ankle to the toes.
What differentiates this from the warm-up technique is that you apply a heavy pressure at first, then gradually lighten the pressure. You begin to lift your hands as you lighten the pressure till your hand is completely off the foot.
11. Knuckle or fist work
This is another great option to massaging the bottom of the foot. To use this technique:
- You will have to lay on your belly- turning your foot upside down;
- Then you hold the top of the foot with one hand;
- Hold a fist or knuckle on the other hand against the bottom of the foot;
- Use this fist to rub the bottom of the foot, using a mild pressure;
- Repeat the motion over again, moving it around the ball of the foot to the heel.
12. Pressure points
This is also like another technique used to relieve stress on the top of the foot. However, you apply a little more pressure. You relieve stress or pain by pressing points on the instep. To use this technique:
- Hold the foot from the bottom and extend your thumbs only, to the top of the foot;
- Use your thumb to press and release the top of the instep;
- Move your thumb down the instep, repeating the pressing and release motion;
- You can continue to move this around the foot, down to the heel.
Wrapping it up on the best foot massagers
The overall message we are trying to make you understand is that choosing the best foot massager depends on some relevant features discussed earlier.
If you’ve read through the entire post thoroughly, finding the best massager for your feet won’t be difficult. We also believe our foot massager reviews list is exclusive enough to guide you through the selection process.
However, if you are still yet to make a reasonable choice, we suggest you look at this foot massager as our recommendation.