Its common knowledge that kids are fascinated by toys that can move. So the idea of getting your kid a radio-controlled helicopter is a really good one. RC helicopters offer a little bit of challenge balanced with fun and excitement for kids. However, most people find RC helicopter ads confusing with a lot of technical information and terms that only experienced enthusiasts may be familiar with. This may make choosing the best RC helicopter a bit of a daunting task.
The truth is, the right radio-controlled heli is one that is just at the right level of complexity for your kid’s specific skill level. We have found some of the best RC helicopters for kids that are suitable for newbies as well as experienced pilots. You will also find some tips and factors to consider before you decide on the right RC helicopter to purchase.
Best RC Helicopters 2020 Comparison
Best RC Helicopters Reviews 2020
1. Tenergy Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter
The new model mini gyro S107 helicopter comes ready to fly, with no assembly required. This metal RC helicopter is equipped with the latest gyroscope technology which is one of the main selling points of this product. The helicopter features a fast-charging lightweight lithium battery. 30 minutes of charge will give you up to 12 minutes of flight time. It also features three full channels and its transmitter has an alignment trim and a left/right lever which makes perfect flight possible. At approx. 7.5″ long, this helicopter is one of the smallest in the world. It can easily fit in your palm but is fully functional despite the size. It is suitable for indoor flying only. The helicopter has 2 frequencies. This makes it possible to fly more than one helicopter at the same time.
2. Syma S109G 3.5 Channel RC Helicopter with Gyro
The Syma S109G mini RC helicopter is the ideal helicopter for beginners. It is quite easy to fly which a lot of stable flight characteristics that make it quite great for beginners. This product features a lithium polymer battery that is rechargeable with 40 minutes charge time. This gives five to eight minutes of flying time or 8 meters. It can be charged through USB or by using the controller. Flight Control for this helicopter Includes Up/Down flight, Left/Right Turn, and Forward/Backward movements. The helicopter also comes with two gyro frequencies for easy control.
3. Cheerwing U12S Mini RC Helicopter
More than just an RC helicopter this product comes inbuilt with its own WiFi Camera which makes it possible to take photos and make videos as you fly the helicopter and live stream feeds directly to your phone. The Cheerwing U12S RC helicopter also comes with several features that make it quite easy to fly. It has an auto-hovering feature while a one-key take-off and landing button makes it easy to start flight or land the plane. There is an emergency stop control as well. In addition to its ease of use, you will enjoy flying this helicopter as well as it features 2-speed modes and 2 frequencies. This RC helicopter also features low battery power and an out of range alarm which makes it easy to recover your helicopter so you don’t ever have to worry about losing.
4. Cheerwing S107/S107G Phantom
The Cheerwing S107 is small, agile, and fast. This mini gyro helicopter features an upgraded gyro system which makes precise flight control possible. This is one of the best RC helicopters to buy in terms of durability. It features an upgraded metal frame that guarantees a long life span. This helicopter has a 3 channel control and can operate at 2 selectable frequencies which makes it possible to fly 2 helicopters at the same time. This helicopter is also designed for excellent night flight thanks to its colorful flashing light that makes it easy to make out the helicopter in the dark.
5. E-flite Blade mCX2 RTF
The new and improve mCX heli is designed for easy flight and control for pretty much everyone whether you are a beginner or a pro heli pilot. This RC helicopter can be easily adapted to the pilot’s skill level as it is possible to change the speed settings to higher speeds for expert pilots. Swash sensitivity is also user-selectable on this craft. This helicopter features one of the most powerful motors you will find on an RC helicopter. It also features a 5-in-1 control unit along with a mixer and gyroscope. You will enjoy great control with no frequency restrictions on this RC helicopter and it can be used indoors thanks to its mini size and the lightweight of the blades. It comes fully assembled with a sleek body that is ready to fly right out of the box.
How to fly RC Helicopter
Buying an Rc helicopter is one thing, being able to fly is the most important step of the process. Here are some basic pointers on how to fly an RC Heli.
Pre-power heli checks: the first step is to get familiar with your controller or radio transmitter. Radio controllers may seem simple, but even in the most basic models, you must familiarize yourself with it. Next, you should check the center of gravity of your helicopter. You may need to adjust this if it is off. You should also check the rotor blades of the helicopter to ensure that they are tightly tightened. These steps might seem insignificant but they can make all the difference in flying your helicopter.
Start Easy: if you are a newbie, you will most likely find your maiden helicopter flights challenging and that’s quite normal. Once you have carried out all the necessary checks, gently apply power to your helicopter while still on the ground. You should check and adjust the tracking of the heli blades as well as the cyclic trims if needed.
Hover in this starting position for a while. This will help you to get familiar with the controls. When you feel comfortable and confident enough you can proceed to take the helicopter into the air.
Before you go into the air, check the helicopter for a level reaction. To do this, listen to the motor and if you notice any unusual sound, stop the craft immediately. You need to master how to hover at different altitudes before you try your hands on the left/right and diagonal controls.
Gradually hone your flying skills: it is important that you take the easy-does-it approach and gradually improve your skills. The controls of an RC helicopter is similar for all models. However, because the transmitter tends to vary, getting comfortable with the model you are trying to fly is important. Some basic routine heli flying practices should so master include:
- The figure of eight hover
- Translational lifts
- Counterclockwise circle
- Changing the nose direction of the helicopter
Finally, you must pay attention to where you fly your RC helicopter so that you don’t fly into obstacles or get your craft blades tangled up in a branch. You may also use a heli training equipment if you are a novice and you are unsure of how to start.
Features to consider when buying the best RC Helicopters
- Age: Typically, the manufacturer will state the appropriate age to fly the craft. Be sure to check this before you make a purchase. Younger kids will have trouble controlling RC helicopters not to mention the possible danger. It is also recommended that you let your kid fly under close supervision.
- The skill of the pilot: RC helicopters vary in terms of their complexity. There are crafts built specifically for newbies and there are some designed for more advanced users. Beginner pilots will have trouble flying RC helicopters designed for experts while pro pilots will find crafts for newbies as no fun. Be sure to check the recommended skills level for the helicopter before you make a purchase.
- Flying area: One of the most important factors to consider is where your kid will fly the helicopters. There are RC helis that are only suitable for indoor use while there are others that can fly in both the indoor and outdoor environments. Outdoor crafts are larger and heavier. You should only purchase this type if you are sure there is sufficient space to fly it. Otherwise, a much smaller and lighter indoor helicopter will be a much better choice.
- Competition: Older kids like to compete with their helicopter toys. If your kid would be interested in this, then you need a model that is equipped for this. Typically, you want a radio control with at least 2.4GHz. These types of craft are less likely to be interrupted by different signals.
- Controller: the radio or controller of your RC helicopter is just as important as the craft itself. Depending on far you want to go in terms of the sophistication of the controls, you should consider features like electronic swash mixing, remote gains, flight stabilization features, rescue mode, flybarless system among others.
A radio-controlled helicopter offers a unique and fun-filled flying experience. There is a friendly online community as well with forums and websites that can share tips and ideas that will encourage newbies. The first and most crucial step of your journey is choosing the right craft for you. The best RC helicopters for you are ones that suit your skill level the most. For beginners who are new to flying RC Helis, the Tenergy Syma S107 RC Helicopter is our top recommended craft from this list. It is easy to fly and in the right price range for newbies. For more advanced users, we recommend the E-flite Blade mCX2 RTF. It offers incredible control and is highly stable.