A treadmill machine is a great way to work out but for seniors, not all models are safe for use. Seniors are elderly people, and if you’re looking for a treadmill for them, you must ensure it is suitable for them. However, the best treadmills for seniors should meet safety requirements and should have a variable speed limit for them to choose a comfortable speed level during a workout. There is more to knowing which treadmills for senior to choose and that’s why we have selected a round-up list for the best treadmill for senior walking. Therefore, we’ve eliminated bottleneck that you might face researching yourself. Whatever type you want either manual or motorized, we got you covered. Besides, the choice we picked are budget-friendly, and has robust features such as workout programs weight capacity, speed, etc.
Best Treadmills for Seniors 2020 Comparison
Review of 7 best treadmills for seniors 2020
1. Maxkare Electric Motorized: Best Treadmill Running machine
This treadmill is an exquisite design. It is quite fascinating we made it our number one pick as one of the best treadmills for seniors. MaxKare treadmill that has a large LCD alongside 15 pre-set programs, is an amazing choice. You can now enjoy indoor running, monitor your speed, heart rate, calorie, and time spent.
Also, it has three manual adjustable inclines, with a robust, stable, and foldable design. The treadmill is designed for people weighing less than 220 pounds. It contains basic installation kits and necessary tools. As an advantage, it uses a rubber tread belt that makes running stable, less noisy, and more comfortable.
2. Progear Twin Flywheels: Best Manual Treadmill for Seniors
An effective way of achieving fitness walking is by the use of a treadmill. Particularly for seniors, this treadmill is one of the best. ProGear 190 Manual Treadmill is an effective way of burning extra calories and achieving a healthy lifestyle. It can carry up to 230 pounds of user’s weight.
Amazingly, it does not require an electric outlet. It has wide side railed for safety and folds up easily to save space for easy transportation. ProGear Manual Treadmill is very affordable; you can stay fit, having spent less. Its maintenance costs less too.
3. NodicTrack T Series Treadmills
Working out and staying fit just got better. Get ready to move and tone your body; train, workout, and explore fitness and health with the NodicTrack T Series Treadmill. This treadmill is a perfect combination of innovation, design, and expert engineering.
Expand your limits and run faster and farther than you would ever do. It is capable of carrying a user weight of up to 300 pounds. Buying this treadmill comes with an incentive of a 1year iFit Membership. Its warranty is 10years for the frame, 2years for other parts and one year for labor. A consistent fact disclosed by those who have used it is its durability.
4. EXERPEUTIC TF2000 Recovery Fitness Walking Treadmill
The Exerpeutic treadmill is a high-quality product that is value-oriented having therapeutic fitness effects. It is particularly designed for recovering people and seniors. Being automated, it requires an electrical outlet 300 pounds is the weight capacity of this treadmill. An exciting feature of the treadmill is its full-length handrail of 49inches. A 10-shock absorbing deck cushion is included to reduce the stress on the legs, knees, and ankles.
5. EXERPEUTIC TF1000 Ultra High Capacity Walk to Fitness Electric Treadmill
Achieve the convenience of exercising in your own home with your favorite music and at your comfortable pace with the Exerpeutic TF1000 treadmill. Its weight capacity is 400pounds and works for any adult age, especially seniors.1.5 HP high torque motor makes it a noiseless walking experience. There are heart pulse pads and speed control buttons on the handles that monitor your heart rate while adjusting the speed to your convenience. The treadmill belt is a 40inch length and 20inch width for safety and security.
6. Bowflex BXT216 Treadmill
Talk about motivation to do more, comfort and quality, space-saving technology and general body fitness, Bowflex BXT216 Treadmill is an excellent choice. What is as good as knowing you are making tremendous progress every minute? This treadmill motivates you by displaying the number of calories burned per minute: it pushes you to do more in time.
Its exquisite design is comfortable, foldable, and space-saving. It is easy to navigate and provides you with a friendly virtual coach. You have practical fitness tips too at the tip of your fingers. Whether you are training for a big day distance running or just keeping fit as a senior, the Bowflex treadmill is the best experience.
7. OppsDecor Under Desk Treadmill
OppsDecor Treadmill is made under efficient conditions and is of high quality. Its running belt is made to last with five layers of long-lasting materials. These layers are the wear-resistant surface, sound insulation layer, high strength layer, shock-absorbing layer, and compression layer. Also, the treadmill has both running mode with a maximum speed of 12km/H and a walking mode with a maximum of 4km/H. OppsDecor Treadmill is space-saving, noiseless, and very durable.
What Can A Treadmill Offer You
A treadmill is a workout option for gyms and homes. It is important for basic exercise experience. It makes indoor exercise possible in cases of adverse weather conditions. These weather conditions might make running, jogging, or walking difficult. An alternative to the outdoor aerobic exercises is the use of the treadmill. The treadmill ensures your exercise routine is not altered by bad weather. Treadmills are suitable for a variety of purposes and goals. Aside from indoor exercise, it can be used in tailored training sessions. Being a form of aerobic exercise, it works well for weight loss.
Between Manual and motorized treadmills, which is good for seniors?
Treadmills can either be motorized or manual. Each works differently. Picking the right machine for you will improve your workout result and health. An excellent way for seniors to stay active is by walking on the treadmill. The manual treadmill, however, is more strenuous and has adverse impacts on the knee and joints because the cushioning system found in an automated treadmill is absent. For seniors, therefore, the automatic treadmill, which is more comfortable during workouts, should be the choice. It makes you exercise for longer and faster.
Features To Consider When Buying A Treadmill For Seniors
Aging has its toll on all humans, and with an increase in age, the body’s metabolism also changes. Certain measures are then put in place to help keep the body healthy and active. One way to keep seniors active is by the use of a treadmill. However, choosing and using the wrong treadmill type that does not suit your requirement might cause more harm than good.
- Weight capacity: When buying a treadmill for seniors, it is important to consider weight capacity. However, most manufacturers overstate the weight as there isn’t a standard used to determine the weight capacity of treadmills, universally. To get the accurate weight capacity of a treadmill, therefore, subtract 50 to 75pounds from the stated capacity. The best treadmills are with a weight rating of at least 100Ibs greater than the users’ weight.
- Motor: A powerful motor in a treadmill guarantees noiseless usage and longer durability. The motor energy of a treadmill is measured in horsepower(HP). Poor quality motors will overheat and might require constant repairs. The best way to check for the quality of the motor used is by checking the warranty of the treadmill. A long warranty period signifies a high-quality motor, and this is safer.
- Speeds: The range of the speed of treadmills varies from brand to brand. At the least, treadmills should have a speed of 8mph. however, you can purchase a treadmill with 15mph speed. The higher the speed options, the more expensive these treadmills seem to be. For seniors, a treadmill with a speed of 10mph is not bad at all.
- Foldable design: Certain treadmills are compact and foldable. This is not only important for transportation but also easy storage. Treadmills with foldable designs are space-saving and important to keep away from children who can hurt themselves or even get it spoilt. Foldable design treadmills are the best for seniors.
- Incline angels: The incline angles on the treadmill help to increase the rate at which calorie burns. The elevation helps to build and tone the muscles during workout. These inclination angles range from 5% to 15%. The higher the incline, the more resistance there is.
- Handrails and safety: Treadmills, especially one with a moving belt, can be dangerous if not used appropriately or without safety. Essentially, treadmills are made with handrails for support. Treadmills without handles or handrails are greatly discouraged for seniors. The handrails help you step on the treadmill, and should in case an accident occurs, you have what to hold unto. However, during a workout, it is advised that you keep your hands away from the handrails to get the best out of your exercise.
- Running surface area width: The broader, the safer. This is a saying that matches with the treadmill surface area width. A narrow running surface is difficult to tread and will require so much care to avoid trip and fall.
- Unit weight: A lighter treadmill will be easy to carry around. It is important to note the weight of one treadmill unit you intend to buy. This helps with transporting around and outside the home. However, a heavier treadmill suggests it has a stronger motor. Most automatic treadmills weigh between 200 and 220 pounds. Manual ones are lighter.
- Dimension: To shop effectively and buy the best treadmill for seniors, you should have the dimension of one of the best treadmill handy. These dimensions include the treadmill belt size and incline angles, among others.
- Price: You do not need to break the bank before buying one of the best treadmills for seniors. Most treadmills are very affordable. However, with an increase in price comes an increase in the features and quality of a treadmill. Buy that which serves your purpose well and does not hurt your pocket too.
- Warranty: A treadmill with a longer warranty period is most of the time made of high-quality materials. This high-quality material includes the motor and its energy. And even if not, it is a good investment since the cost for repairs and maintenance within the warranty period is not yours to bear. The longer the warranty period, the better.