What’s the best whole house humidifier. The suggestion for a humidifier to buy this winter are many. If your need is to humidify a small room, a large room or a whole house, you’ll need a humidifier designed for such a requirement. For example, the best whole house humidifier works efficiently in an area up to 750 – 3,600 square feet. As for large bedrooms space, you need a device featuring up to 750 square feet. In the case of small living space, a 250 square feet capacity is the best choice of a humidifier. However, to measure the area you want to install your humidifier unlike dehumidifiers, it involves little calculation, but you don’t need to bother yourself about that. We are going to be showing all of that in this article. However, a simplified way to ease you from stress is to choose from our whole house humidifier reviews 2019 – 2020 selection featuring top-rated products from various humidifier brands.
Best Whole House Humidifier Comparison
Top 5 Best Whole House Humidifier 2019 – 2020 Selection
We don’t know how large your house is, even though it is big but won’t exceed 3,600 square feet. Essick Air AIRCARE MA1201 Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier runs perfectly in such perimeter. It was one of the best whole house humidifiers in 2018 and still topping the list to date.
The console-style may not be realistic in size, but in reality, it can maintain the desired humidity level of an entire house and comes relatively cheap. The Essick Air operates for up to 36 hours of supplying evaporative mist and installed with a 3.6-gallon tank.
The standalone humidifier has a digital humidistat, and this maintains your pre-set humidity level with digital accuracy and automatically shut-down when desired level is attained. The unit is incredibly easy to clean and cost-effective to maintain.
What Is a Whole Humidifier?
Don’t see a whole-house humidifier from the coverage capacity perspective but see it as the actual size of the entire space you want to spread humidity. Because it is easy to find a humidifier with a respective value of the area, it can handle in square feet, but as for your house, it is not possible unless you determine the size yourself.
When you don’t know the space area to add humidity, what to do is to calculate it because it is not hard mathematics. Remember, a house is built in the perimeter. By definition, the border of an enclosed space is called a perimeter.
Therefore, to calculate the space for a whole-house humidifier, add the sum of lengths of the house together multiplied by the width in square feet. Write out the value down (Let’s say 500 sq. ft.). And as you check online, ensure to refer to the calculated value after considering other friendly features that you would need in your daily operation of the device.
Perhaps, you are still confuse, check this dehumidifier sizing chart below to further clarity.
Looking for the best whole house humidifier at an unimaginable price, we recommend you check AIRCARE MA0800 Digital Whole-House Console-Style. This model is almost looking like the previous Aircare unit, but for the AIRCARE MA0800, it can only be used for smaller spaces.
As of now, this unit is one of the cheapest whole-home humidifiers on the market. It is equipped with digital controls and auto-humidistat. Most importantly, designed for homes up to 2,600 square feet and from a 2.6-gallon tank capacity, AIRCARE MA0800 can run for up to 36-hours in one refill.
Other features include 3-speed levels plus a quiet nighttime setting that won’t disturb your sleep and also turn off when set humidity is reached. It comes with a washable filter that protects you from breathing polluted air. To clean or refill the unit, there is an indicator alarm to inform you.
Some of the consumer reports says it is a strong and durable product that will stay for a relative number of years. One notable reviewer said AIRCARE MA0800 Digital Whole-House Console-Style helped her combat static-electricity feeling.
Most people don’t like a Pedestal-style of a humidifier, because of their ancient look, nevertheless, it’s a privilege to inform you that AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier comes beautifully made. You don’t need to start hiding your device, unlike the previous models that look unattractive. The 18-inch height unit is ideal for homes measuring up to 2,400 square feet and can run up to 60hours, thanks to the 3.5-gallon tank capacity that provides the long-hour operation.
Apart from the digital display that lets you view unit operation for you to set the desired level of humidity, the design also incorporates 9-speed fan controls and a humidistat for achieving a balance of indoor humidity levels. The whole-home humidifier can turn off when the desired home humidity-level is reached, or when the tank is empty. Besides, the tower humidifier weighs only 27 pounds making it easy to lift without exhausting plenty of energy.
According to consumer reports, the AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Tower Humidifier performs as it has been designed to do. Some reviewers said it is space-saving, very easy to maintain, and overall helps them to achieve a comfortable level of humidity.
If you are looking for a whole-home humidifier that you can you use to raise the temperature of your home, the Aprilaire 800 Whole House Steam Humidifier is one of the units that meet this need. Unlike cool mist humidifiers, Aprilaire 800 delivers a steam mist that benefits households during the winter when everything seems colder to touch even your mattress by releasing warm mist air into the air. The output released is devoid of bacteria, and allergens, because these agents are killed in the process of heating the water.
This whole-house humidifier can cover up to 6,500 square feet full coverage and has an output of 34.6 gallons daily from a continuous flow supplied by your home water system. When you buy the Aprilaire 800 Steam Humidifier, you won’t bother about cleaning or replacing filters.
Notwithstanding the electrode technology, it helps to extracts impurities from the water, as such you, have clean air to breathe.
The design also features a sensor that observes both the indoor relative humidity and outdoor temperature, for it accouches optimum humidity levels throughout your home. This unit requires installation but can be installed on its owe without attaching it to a furnace or HVAC system.
The Aprilaire 800 Whole House Steam Humidifier works incredibly to keep my room temperature warm during cold winter, and it has helped my family live fine according to a reviewer. Some people said after setting the unit operation, only schedule check, that’s what is required.
If your preferred choice is a furnace humidifier, then no need to waste your time with the rest of the whole-home humidifiers, we, therefore, recommend Aprilaire 600M Whole House Furnace Humidifier for you. The reasonable price item is listed at the rate of hundred dollars plus and comes with a warranty for peace of purchase. Though the humidifier required installation just like the Aprilaire steam unit, the good news, everything needed for installing the bypass humidifier comes in the shipment.
This wonderful humidifier runs quietly and can cover homes up to 4,000 square feet, also has the capacity of converting up 17 gallons of water in 24 hours. Also, the 600M model has a bypass damper, which lets you set the desired level of humidity, removing guessing and ideal for all round the year use both winter and summer season.
If there is anything to know more, reviewers (users) of this product confirm how this unit has helped them combat susceptible low humidity problems such as dry skin, allergies, sinus congestion, and more. Many of the buyers said they installed the Aprilaire 600M themselves without calling a professional installer.
Why Believe Us
With countless hours researching and test various humidifiers for the whole house, we were able to put up this whole house humidifier reviews list together. Consumer reports also formed the basis in our decision-rule because it is better to hear from reviewers who had tested and use them. Quality and humidity friendly features also matter when choosing a home humidifier and the various items shortlisted passed these requirements.
How to Choose the Best Whole Home Humidifier
- Performance: When choosing a humidifier, the aim is to pick the best one that can help you achieve optimal humidity environments. Our tested units above are powerful in releasing humidity that can prevent you from dryness and also helps keep your furniture in good condition and other ugly static shocks. To get the best of performance, you need to choose a humidifier according to your home or room size. Recall, the procedure we highlighted at the beginning, you consult it to guide you.
- Friendly Features: Our list of whole home humidifiers consists of units with different features. A good humidifier should come with a humidistat for a balance of humidity level, auto-shut-off that turns the device off when an optimal level humidity is reached or tank level is empty. Diffusing of essential oil into the air may be optional but never forget to know the maximal hours it runs daily.
- Ease of operation: Humidifiers use are fairly not difficult but some units can be a headache when setting up. If you pick a model that requires installation over a console-style unit then ensure you can fix it properly, better still hire a professional installation for you to enjoy the manufacturer warranty because a do-it-yourself may devoid the warranty. On the other hand, going with a portable whole house humidifier, you need to check the tank size and unit operation time to know how long it will work before the next refilling.
How to Install a Whole House Humidifier
It is not everybody that can install a dehumidifier, but if you’re certain you can do it without calling a specialist, it is going to save you installation cost. But remember most whole-house humidifiers come with purchase warranty and some manufacturers specifically state it that a professional should be the one to install the product for buyers to retain the warranty back-up. Despite that, since you are confident about mounting this kit all by yourself, we can assist in showing you our whole house humidifier installation process. Never, forget, always refer to the manufacturer installation guide on the manual as well even as follow the below procedure:
- Identify where the area you want it to be mounted, mark a point. Move to one side of the outline, neatly cut off the other end using aviation snips. After completing this step, drill screw holes on the mounting plates. Mounting the plate on the area, screw it tightly to the wall and make sure it is not shaking.
- On the manual, follow the instructions, locate the right position where the humidistats need to be placed and cut the section.
- What do you next? Mount and attach the humidistat plates securely. Following the instructions learned previously, from the manual, connect the plate to your furnace system and then attached the humidistat.
- The next thing is to connect the humidistat to the solenoid valve on the humidifier, using a wire nut.
Caution: do not twist the wire nut, instead, turn it until they’re fully tight.
- Finally, connect the humidifier to your home water supply system. Ensure the entire plumbing process is properly done to avoid water leakages.
How To Maintain The Right Humidity Levels Using A Humidifier
On observation of the kind of air in your house following the behavior of the humidistat that tracks and regulate humidity levels, you will able to know if you need to turn on your humidifier or not.
In cold winter, when the air outside is dry and inside feel colder, it is always challenging maintaining the right humidity levels at home.
Nevertheless, a range of 30 – 50 % level is an appropriate level but ensures excessive moisture is not released into your residence as it can cause molds and mildew growth. These tips about how humidifier works will help you maintain the best humidity levels:
- If you’ve got a humidifier, with a manual humidistat, you’ll need to adjust it manually, based on home humidity requirement and outside temperature for the unit to work accordingly.
- If your device comes with auto-humidistat, you don’t need to worry, it will check the air moisture level. If the humidity level is low, the machine will kick start to eliminate the dry air.
From findings, manual units work efficiently. To save yourself the time and effort doing it yourself. It is best to choose a whole-house humidifier that automatically controls the humidity level.
Benefits and Drawback of Whole House Humidifiers
Whether you are susceptible to itchiness, bronchitis, obstructive pulmonary disease, and other ugliness listed below caused by dry air, a humidifier solution cannot be over-preached.
- Dry skin and hair: The rate at which hydration occurs during winter is higher compared to summer. When this happens, cold air thereby absorbs moisture from the body, leaving your skin to be dry and scaling. Besides, dry weather causes dry hair. To avoid these skin and hair dryness, you’ll need to choose between a house and a portable humidifier for your home. Portable humidifiers are for single rooms. On the other hand, a whole-house humidifier such as the Aprilaire 600M Whole House Furnace Humidifier is best for coverage up to 4,000 square feet.
- Sore throat: Dry air is the factor responsible for drying out the throat, and when this happens leads to Sore in your mouth. Lubricating your throat passages with a humidifier helps eradicate this problem.
- Bleeding nose: Humidifier works prevents bleeding nose that occurs in the dry winter air.
- Allergies: Too high or low humidity levels can affect some people who have an allergy or asthmatic history. If the air is dried out, use a humidifier to compensate dry air. For high indoor humidity levels, the best dehumidifier with an auto sensor will help you restore the optimum level.
- Sinus headache: Dry sinuses can result in sudden headaches which make you fall asleep unnecessarily even during work hours. Adding a humidifier by your side will help you a lot.
- Cracked lips: It is not new dry air in winter dry-out the lip causing cracked, moisture air from a humidifier eases such symptoms.
- Irritating eyes: The eyes are a vital organ in the body working daily, as such gets tired easily due to various factors. Humidifying the air would enable them to be revived and active.
Humidifier Protects Pets and Furniture
Also, know that a whole-house humidifier benefits extend to your pets and home furniture. Dry air can irritate pet skin, causing them to scratch their bodies, and as they do this, hair or fur leaves their bodies. This action would not only make the pet hair to be scanty but can cause you allergens.
Subsequently, your wooden furniture integrity will not be temper, if adequate humidity, is present in your air. Therefore, the role of a humidifier in the winter or dry climate region cannot be overlooked regards what it does and how it protects you, home, pets, and furniture.
We cannot undermine the fact that a whole-house humidifier has its negative side, though the advantages were elaborate earlier. Nevertheless, few concerns need to be known before you think of getting a humidifier, being installed in your living space. These warning signs do not scare you but to prepare you ahead of time:
- A whole-house humidifier can increase your water bills, especially for those living in water scarcity regions.
- If not installed properly, it can lead to leakages. To avoid this issue, tight all joint or call an expert to carry out the installation for you.
- Using a whole-home humidifier that is too powerful for a small space may cause the growth of molds, mildew, and allergens. But a unit that has automatic humidistat will control the humidity levels on behalf of you as such, don’t need to worry about allergens attacking you.
Wrapping It Up
Your plan to invest in a central or whole-house humidifier is good, but the way to picking the best whole house humidifier is understanding the basics criteria on how a humidifier works and stops. This necessity gave us the concern and we moved into the market, researched and analyzed various whole-home humidifier and therefore came up with this whole house humidifier reviews as an assistant to help you choose. From the comparison table, you can scrutinize the different features ensuring you know exactly what you want.