Everyone desires a flawless skin. But as we age, maintaining a skin free from scars, wrinkles, fine lines, and so on becomes a major challenge. While there are several possible remedies for this, one of the commonly recommended ones is red light therapy devices. From reading many red led light therapy machine reviews you will see just how effective the device can be, based on the practical experience of individuals who have used it at some point or the other in the past. This device can be used to treat skin issues, manage scars and wrinkles, or in the treatment of injuries or infections. This article also includes possible side effects and safety concerns of using red light therapy devices as well as a review of some of the best options of LED Light Therapy Device for you.
Best Red Led Light Therapy Machine Comparison Tablee
What Is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy (also known as low-power laser therapy is a therapeutic technique which uses light with low-level wavelength to treat skin issues like wrinkles, acne, scars or persistent wounds, and so on. The wavelength of light used typically varies between 650nm to 800nm. The red light is natural and can penetrate the skin cells where it is absorbed.
History Of Red Light Therapy
The rationale for light therapy has been around for centuries. The Greeks knew that exposure to light (heliotherapy) can have immense benefits on the skin even if they had no idea how it worked.
However, it wasn’t until later in the 19th century that the Nobel Prize winner Dr. Niels Finsen demonstrated how lights of varying wavelengths can be used in the treatment of conditions like tuberculosis.
A red light was also used in space in the 1900s to grow plants. Today, after years of extensive research, Light therapy has become one of the most effective forms of dermatology treatments.
What Are The Benefits Of Red Light Therapy
Ever since its early days, Red light therapy has been a subject of extensive clinical studies to determine its medical and dermatological benefits. There have been several promising results although some controversies still exist about the procedure.
Red light is known to improve collagen production in the skin. It can also increase blood flow and oxygen supply to the skin. This increases metabolism in the skin cells and strengthens the walls of the capillaries in the skin. All of these also help the skin heal faster and more effectively. Thus preventing scarring.
Red light may also increase lymphatic activities in the skin. Some of the other benefits of red light therapy include:
- It can improve hair growth especially in people who have androgenic alopecia
- It may help in the treating carpal tunnel syndrome
- Those who suffer from slow healing wounds like diabetic foot ulcers may benefit from red light therapy
- it improves complexion
- Helps in mending sun damage
- It can relieve pain and inflammation of the Achilles’ tendons
- It may be beneficial in the treatment of acne and similar skin conditions
Top 6 Best Red Led Light Therapy Machine Reviews
1. Trophy Skin RejuvaliteMD Facial Red Led Light Therapy
This red light therapy machine contains 120 LED bulbs that deliver yellow light at 590nm; amber light at 630nm; UV-free red light at a wavelength of 660nm and invisible infrared light at 880nm. These help the device to penetrate the skin at different levels for various beneficial effects and all skin rejuvenation.
More so, this device is safe to use for people of all skin types and tones. A 5 minutes session with this device 4 to 5 times in a week is guaranteed to produce impressive results. Not only is this suitable for improving the skin but can also be used to treat some skin conditions as well.
2. Hooga Red Light Therapy Device
This is one best handheld led light therapy device that offers a combination of LEDs emitting between two specific wavelengths of 660nm representing red light and 850nm which represents NIR in equal proportions. This combination makes this device useful for both skin treatments and deep tissue treatment. This high-powered device can also deliver high irradiance which allows for quick and highly effective treatments within a short time.
With the Hooga HG300, you can customize treatment to suit your specific needs using the 2-power switch on the unit which allows you to independently control the Red and NIR lights. This product includes metal fittings which can be used to hang the device over the top of a door. The device is also quite portable which means you can simply hold it in your hands instead.
3. NORLANYA RED Light Photon Therapy Machine
This LED light therapy machine comes with 40 LEDs that emit light at a wavelength of 660nm for effective skin rejuvenation, firming and anti-ageing therapy. It can be used in either continuous or pulse mode depending on your needs and preference. The unit is compact and quite easy to use. With an 1100mA rechargeable battery, it offers up to 2 hours of operation after 3 or 4 hours of charging.
One of the most impressive features of this device is its automatic light control sensor which helps to protect the eyes. In this mode, the light will only come on when the head of the device is positioned against the skin. However, for additional protection, you should still wear the goggles included with the product during use.
4. Ebcosusa Red Light Therapy Device
This device in this red light therapy reviews offers 3 different operation modes for its light therapy treatment. First, it has the Red lights which are designed to help stimulate blood flow in the skin. Most relevantly, the Blue light mode is great for detoxification and purification of the skin while the Greenlights helps to brighten the skin thus improving tone and color.
You’ll love the fact that this device is quite easy to use. There is a power switch for turning the device on and you can use the mode and switch buttons for switching between the various modes of the device. It is portable and ergonomically shaped for easy control and firm grip by the user
5. LightStim for Wrinkles
LightStim has been around for nearly two decades and has been a leader in the light therapy technology market. This device uses innovative MutiWave technology to vitalize and rejuvenate the skin. It emits light at various wavelengths using LEDs of varying colors.
This device is a product of extensive testing and research and has a reputation for delivering professional-quality results and huge improvements. While it is slightly pricier than many of the other machines on this list, you can be sure of optimum value for your money in the long run.
6. Rika LED facial massager
More than just an LED light device, this machine also doubles as a face massager. It offers three light modes for revitalizing and rejuvenating all skin types. The red light helps to increase dermal blood circulation, the blue light kills bacteria and can help to cure acne while the green light mode helps to balance skin tone effectively.
In addition to these modes, this unit also has a vibration function which comes in two modes (continuous and discontinuous). This unit is lightweight and portable although you have to have it plugged in at all times which may limit its application.
7. True Glow by Conair Light Therapy Solution – Acne Treatment
If what you want is a simple, portable and highly affordable light therapy device then this product is one of the best options to consider. This device is highly recommended not only because it is portable, but it still gets the job done quite effectively using 24 powerful anti-acne LED lights.
This device is quite easy to use. You also get the option of 3 power options depending on which you have available. The device can use a wall power source and can be powered with a USB power source or 3 AA batteries. It comes highly recommended by dermatologists and has passed several clinical tests.
How To Choose A Red Light Therapy Machine: Buyers Guide
- Wavelength: Most red light devices use light with a low-level wavelength range between 600 to 900nm. Any device less than this range is unlikely to do you any good. Similarly, light therapy devices with a higher range no longer fall in the spectrum of low-level devices and should only be handled by professionals.
Human body cells are believed to benefit the most from 4 wavelength peaks than others. This includes 830nm, 760nm. 670nm and 620nm. Hence, you should target devices that can deliver these specific wavelengths or close value within a +/- 15 nm range. Also, you might find devices with wavelength values between 645 nm and 720 nm not as effective as others although they are useful as well. Most devices have the wavelength clearly states on the device. Be sure to check this before you purchase the effectiveness of your light therapy machine depends largely on this factor.
- Check for the intensity: According to various studies, the effective range of intensity of red light is about 20 to 200mW/cm². This intensity determines how effective the device will be and how quickly you will see results. Intensity also determines dosage. Generally, you should target intensity of 20 to 100mW/cm² for a red light device while hire intensity of 100 to 200 mW/cm² is suitable for devices with near infra-red light.
Additional lights: Some red light therapy devices come with additional rows of LED lights offering more wavelengths in addition to the standard red light. This sometimes includes blue light, green light, and near-infrared light. All of these are still low-wavelength light ranging from 600nm to about 800/900nm. These LEDs help to further extend the functionality of the device.
Red light is known to stimulate blood circulation and makes the skin firm. Blue light helps with detoxification while green light improves tone and pigmentation among other functions. Hence a device that packs all of these additional low-level light is a preferable option compared to one without it.
- Portability: Most led light therapy devices are hand-held which means being lightweight and portable will promote better handling. Additionally, red light devices that do not have to be plugged into a light source to use are a lot easier to use since they can be easily carried around and used anywhere.
- Easy control: Unless you are a professional dermatologist or beautician, you would do better with a device that is as simple to use as possible. Since you are looking for a device for home use, ease of use should be a major criterion in making your choice of which device to buy.
How Does Red Light Therapy Machine Work?
Red light therapy is believed to work by stimulating the production of a biochemical effect in body cells which helps to strengthen the mitochondria (which is considered the powerhouse of every cell). Energy is produced in the Mitochondria in the form of Adenosine triphosphate. Thus, by boosting energy production, the cell can produce more ATP which helps to improve cell functioning. It also improves the ability of the cells to repair damage and rejuvenate themselves.
Red light therapy is a non-invasive and non-painful procedure. Unlike laser light therapy which may cause damage to the skin, red light therapy uses light at a low wavelength of 650-800nm. This penetrates to roughly 5 millimeters into the skin surface without causing any damage.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Red Light Therapy Machine
There are several potential benefits of using Red light therapy which includes the following:
- It improves skin health: this is one of the most popular applications of red light therapy. The potential of red light therapy to rejuvenate and revitalize the skin has been the subject of several studies and researches. It stimulates collagen production thereby improving elasticity. It may also protect the cells from damage and can improve the overall texture of the skin by effectively clearing scars, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Treatment of acne: people looking for an effective treatment for acne vulgaris can try out red light therapy as a possible treatment. The light penetrates the skin and altars the production of sebum within the skin. Red light can also be combined with blue light for greater effectiveness in acne treatment.
- Wound healing: a lot has been said about the potential of red light therapy to heal wounds and clear scars. It has the potential to reduce inflammation of skin cells and may stimulate the formation of new blood vessels while stimulating collagen production. All of these are required for speedy healing.
- Hair growth: some studies point to the potential of red light therapy and other forms of low-level light treatment to improve hair density.
Although many of the claims about the potential benefits of red light therapy remain unverified due to lack of extensive scientific evidence yet, the procedure remains a relatively safe one. It is a completely natural process and exposure to low wavelength light is not harmful to the skin cells. This means there is virtually no health risk of normal use of red light therapy devices.
However, like every other procedure, problems may arise as a result of excessive use. Overexposure to red light treatment may lead to cell or tissue damage. The fact that this product is available for use at home further increases the chances of this misuse. However, most of these devices have instructions and direction for use printed on them. There should be no side effects if these instructions are followed. Red light may also cause damage to the eyes, hence the need to wear goggles to protect the eye during treatment.
Red light therapy is a safe and generally effective skin treatment option for those seeking changes in their skin and for maintaining general skin health. While there are still some controversies about its use, an RLT device is still generally considered safe to use.
From our list of reviewed devices, the Hooga Red Light-Therapy-Device is our most recommended option considering its mid-range price and effectiveness. If you are willing to spend some extra bucks then the slightly pricier LightStim for Wrinkles is a recommended option as well.
However, if you are on a budget, then the NORLANYA RED Light Photon Therapy Machine is an equally effective option to consider. It is cheap but still gets the job done effectively with few limitations.