Purchasing a generator either for your home or office is a necessity, especially in this digital age when everything global hinges on flawless delivery of data and uninterrupted power supply. However, no matter how hard we try to imagine it, creating a world without power outage is a reality that we are yet to achieve. In its place, we have the best generators that are designed to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This way, we can go on at our everyday task without ever having to look over our shoulders to make sure that there is no power cut.
Best Generators Comparison Table In 2020
Why Should You Buy A Generator?
Among other things, the ability to enjoy uninterrupted power supply when others experience a power cut remains the top motivation for buying a generator. That aside, there are a few reasons why you should buy a generator. Some of them include:
- Ceaseless productivity: Owning a generator means that you can work without fear of losing power and burning time. What this means that it gives little room for downtime and ensures that you always have the power to work whenever you want to. Also, it takes care of inherent costs that are tied to power paralyzes and makes work easier.
- Emergency management: Even when you are not using it, generators come in handy when you need to keep the lights on in the surroundings and for appliances. Imagine what happens when your home becomes too cold or hot, especially when the air conditioner and heaters are down. Instead, a generator ensures that the lights are on to keep the refrigerators and other home appliances on.
- Air quality maintenance: High humidity may cause serious allergic reactions especially when mold grows on site. The case is worsened when there is no power and you leave the door open to enjoy a bit of fresh air. Instead, it could expose you to dirt, dust, and a host of other harmful elements. However, since the HVAC system dehumidifies the site, generators keep it running to avoid problems that would be caused if it is crippled.
- Data security: Since data processing relies on power and the ability for the networks to maintain communication with each other, imagine what would happen when the power is cut off. A backup generator, for example, gives you time to save your data to prevent losing the important ones.
- Contracting solution: A generator also comes in handy when you need to work on contract sites. This is because not all contracting sites have access to a source of electricity. In its place, you could make use of a generator.
- Needless to say, the absence of power could ruin your whole day and cost you heavily. However, with a generator, you can protect your appliances, reduce downtime, and enjoy power whenever and wherever.
Top 6 Best Generators Reviews In The Market
1. Best Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator With Remote Electric Start
Designed by Westinghouse, the WGen7500 portable generator with remote electric start comes with a push-button electric start that is engaged with a single touch. This includes a remote start key fob that can also be used to activate the generator. To make control easy, it features an intuitive control panel and a water-resistant GFCI outlet to reduce the risk of electric shock.
The push-button start function combines with an onboard battery charger extends the life of the battery for durable use. The remote start fob also increases convenience by allowing you to start the machine from up to 109 yards away. Also, a transfer switch together with a twist-lock outlet permits you to tie the generator to your home for convenient use anytime you want.
A powerful 420cc 4-stroke OHV air-cooled engine can run for up to 18 hours on a 6.6-gallon fuel tank. This, plus the low oil shutoff and built-in fuel gauge make it easy to use and maintain. The handles are padded with foams for a comfortable grip, and it comes with wheels to make it easy to move around.
2. Champion RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
Designed to run on either propane or gasoline, the Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV ready portable inverter generator allows you to enjoy power even during electricity outages. The machine is powered by a 3400-Watt inverter and comes with an electric start feature that includes a dual fuel system. This feature allows it to run a quiet dBA for about 14.5-hours on propane or 7.5-hours on gasoline. Coupled with an optional parallel kit improves your chances of enjoying an uninterrupted power supply.
The product is quiet and lightweight weighing less than 99lbs and comes with a wheel kit for easy maneuverability. This makes it a great option for campsites, cabins, and RVs. What’s more, it comes with a touch start push-button electric start and a battery maintenance smart charger. It can also be connected parallel by connecting it with another champion inverter. This increases the power of the generator.
To enjoy a full benefit on cost, the generator features an economy mode that allows quieter operations by saving fuel and increasing the life of the engine. The product also comes with a propane hose for ease of use.
3. WEN 56200i Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
The WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt portable inverter generator, like many of the best generators, offers an efficient and clean power supply at little cost. The product is a 2000-watt inverter generator that produces energy without spikes or drops in voltage. The design mimics a pure sine wave, therefore, limits total harmonic distortion to under 1.2% at full load and 0.3% at no load. This way, you can run the generator for your laptop, cellphone, and other small electronics without fear of destroying them.
To manage noise, the machine comes with 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine and operates at 51 decibels at quarter load. This limits the sound from the generator to make it as quiet as an air conditioner. A versatile panel contains two three-prong receptacles, a 5 volt USB port, and a 12-volt DC receptacle that makes it suitable for camping and backup power.
There is also a parallel connection feature that makes it possible to link two generators together with a parallel connection kit. It also weighs about 48 pounds and a handle to make carrying easy.
4. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Approved in all the states in the USA, the DuroMax XP12000EH dual fuel portable generator comes with a powerful Duromax engine with an XP12000EH that is powered by a 457cc OHV engine and a DuroMAx 18HP. Put simply, the machine runs on a powerful engine. It also features a dual-fuel technology that allows the machine to run on both gasoline and propane. As a result, you can choose between a fuel choice for flexibility.
Besides the DuroMax engine, the generator supplies 9,500 running watts and 12,000 starting watts. This way, it can handle light loads and heavy light loads from refrigerators, air conditioners, and other power tools with high amperage. The DuroMax technology draws its power from two-120 volt receptacles. You can, therefore, choose between 240 V or 120V, or you could run the two together.
To put a note on the performance of the generator for providing electricity, the product is CARB and EPA approved for use in all 50 states.
5. Best Goal Zero Yeti Portable Power Silent Gas Free Generator
Designed as a high-capacity power station, the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Lithium Portable Power Station WiFi Mobile App Enabled 1425Wh Silent Gas Free Generator provides instant power at the push of a button. The station is powered by a 1400 lithium battery as an alternative to gasoline-powered inverter generators. By implication, you can run the machine without exposing yourself to relentless noise, toxic fumes, and gasoline storage hassle.
Weighing about 19.8 kg, the most fascinating feature of the machine is its ability to serve as an alternative to gas generators. A plug-and-play way of power allows you to activate the station at the push of a button. Since the station is powered by a 1400 lithium battery, you can carry it along for any trip you want to embark on.
To make its operation easy, a goal zero yeti app provides an easy way to control and monitor the station with your Wifi router. This allows you to check the power and turn the ports on and off. It also allows you to connect more than one device to a single Yeti or different Yetis to a single device. You can also update the Yeti from the app for maximum performance.
6. Generac 5735 GP17500E Gas Powered: Best Portable Generator
The Generac 5735 GP17500E 17500 Running Watts/26250 Starting Watts Electric Start Gas Powered Portable Generator comes with enough power to run up to 16 circuits. This makes it an ideal power source for homes and job sites that require high power. Do note that the unit is not CSA or CARB certified, hence it cannot be used by Canadian and California residents.
On the upside, the generator’s OHVI engine comes with full pressure lubrication with an automotive-style spin-on oil filter for durable use. It also comes with a maintenance reminder light on the hour meter and a convenient fuel gauge that provides an easy way to monitor performance.
The machine also comes with steel frames to give it added strength, and integrated brackets and impact-resistant corners give the generator a rugged look for touch job. For satisfactory purchase, the unit comes with a two-year limited warranty.
What To Know In Order To Choose The Best Generator?
- Amount of power needed: The first step to choosing the best generator is to determine the amount of power you require. Because generators are available in different types and provide distinct power, you need to ascertain how much power you need the machine to produce. To do this, you must determine the number of devices that you want the generator to power at the same time. After this, you need to look for the power requirement of each generator. You can then add the requirements for all the devices you want to power to determine the amount of power you need the generator to produce.
- Fuel sources: Most generators are powered by gas, propane, diesel, and some have a hybrid fuel option. Gas as a source of power is expensive and shouldn’t be left to sit around for a long period. Since storms could take out gas stations, you could be left stranded during a storm, however, gasoline is fairly accessible during normal circumstances. Propane is the safest type to store and it burns cleaner. Diesel is also very cheap and can sit around for a long period, however, it doesn’t fare very well in cold conditions. Battery-powered generators can be recharged and run silently without emissions. Although they are expensive, they provide a rechargeable solution to a power outage.
- Start method: Electric one-button push start is one of the best start methods for generators. This is because it eliminates the hassles of using brute force to start a generator. Some also come with rope pulls as a secondary start method.
- Portability: Mobility is another factor that you should consider before purchasing a generator. Products with wheels, carrying handles and fold-down handles are convenient to carry than the ones without these features. If you would need to move the generator frequently, you need features like wheel kits to make carrying about easier.
- Noise level: If you live in a place where your neighbors don’t appreciate the noise, then you need to purchase a quiet generator. Some generators come with a quiet design that can be compared to the sound of an air conditioner or of two people having a conversation. These types, unlike the loud and heavy ones, should be considered.
Types Of Generators Found On The Market
These types of generators are most desired for their easy-to-carry features, otherwise referred to as portability. Most portable generators are powered by diesel fuel or gas to provide temporal power. By using a combustion engine to conduct electricity, the generator can be plugged into electrical appliances and sockets. However, they are mostly recommended for residential purposes than for powering construction sites that require power for higher tools. Features of portable generators:
Unlike the portable generators, the standby ones are automatically activated when there is a power outage. Because they are permanently located outside your home, installation should be carried out by professionals. For standby generators, fuel sources like gas and propane are the most common sources for powering them. They are also not portable and make use of internal combustion engines. Since they are massive, they are recommended for use in hospitals, homes, and construction sites. Features of the standby generator:
The inverter generator makes use of high-tech magnets and advanced electronic circuitry into three phases of electricity production. The machine uses a rectifier to produce Ac power by converting AC to DC power. It then inverts to AC to generate uninterrupted electricity. Most inverter generators are lightweight and energy-efficient since the engine speeds adjust to match the amount of power needed. Features of inverter generators:
The induction generators could either be self-excited generators or externally excited generators. The self-excited ones are used in windmills where the wind is converted into electric power. The externally excited ones, on the other hand, are used in regenerative braking applications for elevators and cranes.
While most of the generators discoursed above can be used for small commercial and residential homes, the industrial generators are designed for rugged performance. They are engineered to generate electricity for heavy tools and can run on diesel, natural gas, gasoline, propane, and electricity. Surprisingly, there are portable industrial generators that can be used in places that cannot fit the large ones.
Portable power stations don’t look like your everyday generator, however, they do enough to keep your lights on when the power is out. Since they don’t use propane or gas, the station is powered by a battery that is charged using electrical outlets and solar panels. Since this type of generator are newcomers to the market, they cost more than portable generators. They are also very quiet and do not produce emissions. By implication, they can be used indoors. On the downside, they cannot run for a very long time since they can’t run without charging. Features of the power stations:
What Are The Top 5 Best Brand Of Generators?
In order of desirability and functionality, below is a rank of the top 5 best brands of generators:
Where Is The Best Possible Places To Mount A Generator System In Your Facility?
When it comes to choosing where to place your generator, you cannot afford to miss it. Because most of the generators run on fuel, they produce emission and carbon monoxide that are dangerous to human health. As a result, placing them indoors or close to the windows could cause serious health issues. For safe installation, as a rule of thumb, never place a generator that runs on any kind of fuel too close to the house. You should also not install it in a breezeway, beneath an overhang, or in a place that collects snow. This is because diesel, for example, doesn’t perform well in cold conditions. Hence, having your generator out in the snow could be dangerous. As a general rule:
Wrapping It Up
There you have it on our reviews of The Best Generators. The products listed above are some of the best generators that the tech market has to offer in 2020. Each with its functionality and drawbacks, be sure to buy a generator that would cater to your light needs and enjoy an uninterrupted power supply where others do not.
Easy Reading Step-by-Step Table of Content Guide