High humidity causes a damp feeling in your home and makes it uncomfortable to live in. It also breeds germs, dust mites, mold, and other microorganisms that can cause a host of respiratory issues and affect your building. One of the most effective ways of dealing with humidity problems is by installing a dehumidifier unit in your home. But there are instances where you don’t need your entire home dehumidified. For instance, if only one room has humidity problems or you spend most of your time in just one room of your home, installing a whole-house dehumidifier will be a waste of money and energy. Instead, you can purchase a one-room dehumidifier. This portable unit will reduce the dampness in your room and can be moved from room to room conveniently if you intend to use it elsewhere. It is also cheaper to purchase and to run. Here is a review of five of the top one room dehumidifiers.
Top 5 Best One Room Dehumidifier 2020 Reviews
1. LONOVE Small Dehumidifiers for Home
This portable Lenove Dehumidifier is perfect for small spaces and single room applications. This mini-dehumidifier is a high-efficiency unit. It features two air inlet (with one at the front and one at the back) which helps to remove moisture from the air faster and more efficiently than similar units. More so, this is a simple and easy-to-operate dehumidifier. It has a single on and off button with no complex settings. Simply switch on and the unit gets to work immediately and shuts off by itself when the tank is full. There are also light indicators to show when the unit is on and when the tank needs to be emptied.
2. Honati Small Dehumidifier: For Bedroom, Bathroom & Baby Room
The Honati Small dehumidifier is designed to remove moisture from the air effectively. It has a 600ml tank capacity and can remove up to 300ml of water from the air in a single day. With a weight of about 2.2lbs, this dehumidifier is suitable for use from room to room as you can easily transfer it to wherever it is needed in your home. It is also quite portable, so you don’t need so much space to fit it in. You will love how noiselessly this unit operates. There is no annoying sound which means you can easily place it on your office desk or bedside table without bothering about being distracted or disturbed by noise.
3. VIVOSUN Mini Dehumidifier for Grow tent Closets, Bathroom and Basement
This one room dehumidifier has a sleek design that you’ll love. Asides being aesthetically attractive, the modern design also allows it to fit perfectly into small spaces and room corners. It also has an inbuilt handle and it is lightweight. This makes it quite easy to move the dehumidifier from room to room. It has a 1.3 liters tank capacity and can remove up to 400ml of water per day. It is easy to use with a simple “plug and switch” on design and no additional settings required. This humidifier does a good job of keeping the moisture level down in small spaces.
4. Hysure Quiet and Portable Single Room Dehumidifier
This is a portable and highly efficient dehumidifier that can remove as much as 750ml of moisture in a day. It is compact and ideal for dehumidifying small rooms. This is an easy-to-use unit and it features an auto-shutoff feature automatically turns the unit off when the tank is full. This is a compact pretty unit and it sits nicely on your desk, countertop, or anywhere else. It also has an LED indicator that notifies you that the tank needs to be emptied. The LED can be turned off if you want. You will love how quiet the unit operates. It makes no annoying noise and does not disturb you at all.
5. BIOXO Ultra-Quiet Mini Dehumidifier
If you are looking for a dehumidifier for small spaces like your wardrobe, filing cabinet or bookcase, this is one of the best portable units to consider. It may also be suitable for small bedrooms, bathrooms, and basement. This unit has a one-button function and is well built so there is minimal risk of falling apart. We love the unit’s simple design and is light and easy to carry to any room of your home.
How To Pick The Best One Room Dehumidifier
- Room size: one of the most important things to do before you purchase a dehumidifier is to measure the size of your room. Choosing a unit that is too small means you will not get optimum satisfaction from the unit while a unit that is too large will only waste power and leave your room drier than it should be. Although you should not choose a dehumidifier based on the size of your room alone, your room size does give you an idea of the type and size of the dehumidifier unit to purchase. In most cases, the manufacturer will indicate the capacity of the dehumidifier unit. This figure indicates how large of a space the dehumidifier will be able to cover. Therefore, having an idea of the size of your room will give you a loose idea of the dehumidifier capacity you should look out for.
- Washable filters: keeping your dehumidifier clean is important to maintain the quality of air that flows out of it. You risk spreading dust, germs, and allergens through the air if the filters of the dehumidifier are not washable. Go for a unit with filters that can be easily cleaned. Some manufacturers may even include specific instructions for safely cleaning the filters without damaging the dehumidifier. This is an extra advantage.
- Auto-restart: If you intend to place your dehumidifier on a timer, then it should have an auto-restart function. While most portable units have an auto-shutoff feature, just a few units come with an auto-restart function that turns the unit back on at the desired time or after a power outage. Having an auto-restart feature will improve the ease-of-use of your dehumidifier. You don’t have to bother about switching the unit back on if the power goes off or for any other reason since it turns itself back on.
- Defrost functioning: Although not a compulsory feature on every unit and auto-defrost function is a feature that you will find quite beneficial. A unit with a defrost function can detect the formation of ice on the dehumidifier’s condensing coil. This usually happens when the dehumidifier is operated in a room with very low temperature (about 54oF). Without a defrost function, the accumulation of frost on the condenser will reduce the unit’s efficiency. A unit with a defrost functioning will automatically turn off the compressor when frost forms on it but the fan will continue to run. This will allow warmer air to run through the dehumidifier and defrost the compressor. Humidifiers with this feature are desirable in areas where the indoor temperature tends to get really low.
- Continuous drain option: one of the limitations of a portable unit is that you will have to manually empty the tank when it fills up. In units with small tanks, you’ll have to do this even more often. This can be a pain in the neck. However, a dehumidifier with a continuous drain feature makes draining off water less of a chore. The unit will be connected to an external drain and the water is gotten rid off automatically so you don’t have to manually take out the tank to empty it.
- Unit dimension: consider the dimension of the unit before you make a purchase. For a portable single-room dehumidifier, you will probably be placing it on a bedside bed, countertop, or office desk. If you don’t have a lot of space to spare, then a sleek unit that won’t take up a lot of space is advisable.
A dehumidifier can solve your home’s high humidity problems efficiently and make your room generally more comfortable. Even if you don’t have money for a whole-house system you can purchase a one room dehumidifier for use in rooms where you need it the most like your laundry room, basement, or kitchen. Consult our guide above or choose from any of the top products reviewed above. We love the VIVOSUN Small Space Mini Dehumidifier for its mid-range price and sleek design. The Hysure Quiet and Portable 1000ml Dehumidifier is a bit pricier but just as functional and well-built and would be perfect for your small space.